TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know i'm probably being either blind or really dumb:doh , can someone point me in the direction of or explain to me how to do this airbox mod:banghead I have scoured common mods and all around the garage.

ideas please, i'm loosing the will to live:crazy

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I just did the botton holes where the ram air tubes fit with the box. The entire hole to the flter was too much for me:)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
He's opened up the whole entry area into the air filter. Not seen that before. I'm going to modify mine and may try that too. Has anyone opened it all the way like this?

Cheers:)
:yes well actually Rupes modded one and shipped it to me so I have one that is just like that one but according to mr R he thought the one he made for me was better since it was the second one he did:devious

And powerwise well it sure made a big difference :thumbup

oh and fragle U are just really dumb :laugh

·
Registered
128 Posts
:yes well actually Rupes modded one and shipped it to me so I have one that is just like that one but according to mr R he thought the one he made for me was better since it was the second one he did:devious

And powerwise well it sure made a big difference :thumbup

oh and fragle U are just really dumb :laugh

Cool. Have ordered a mail order Dremmel Type cutting tool and will try and make time this weekend to have a go.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
more air = more power :thumbup

·
Registered
128 Posts
So what are the pros to this mod? My turn to be dumb :doh
What will it actually do?
The stock intake is restrictive. This mod removes the flapper valve and allows more air into the motor at lower revs as the valve is no longer present. At higher revs (and air flows) the valve would be open but the flow is still restriced by the flapper valve actuator. Additionally in stock form only half the area into the filter is open.

I've modded the airbox and intake on my BMW and added a large custom K&N. There's a bit more induction roar and the motor spins up noticibly quicker.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
more air = more power :thumbup
For best results you need a full system (gets the increased volume of air out quicker) and PC (all that extra air will need some more juice to burn) too.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I've read about this mod' before but for some reason that link makes it look easier :confused That's not to say whoever has posted the mod before was confusing, prob'y just me!! :laugh

I like it!! Haven't done a bit of "constructive" work for ages but will make it yet another winter mod' :)

Fragle, if you get 'round to doing yours sooner, post up some piccies yeah?

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Well ....... Fragle - we really must get together :devious Mine has a variant of the "Rupes" full mod done:

When I did this, I also fitted a PCII - I would be a bit careful of doing too much to affect intake fuel/air mix (i.e. K&N, Full System, or this mod) without at least getting the fuelling checked after to make sure you are not running too lean :O

JHS in Bristol (well, Keynsham) can flash the original ECU if you do not want to go to the expense of a PCII or III :devious :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes true get fueling sorted after esle you'll have probs
and bit of dyno work is bout 2 hours and prob be 100
notes....best to get pc2 fitted..
made lots of diferance second gear wheelies of the throttle
and 3 rd gear with a bit of clutch great...

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
For best results you need a full system (gets the increased volume of air out quicker) and PC (all that extra air will need some more juice to burn) too.
Yep thats right and it tends to run lean whitout adjustment so a pc II is :thumbup

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
yep as long as the engine gets more fuel

·
Registered
6,760 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts