TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Could you tell me the easiest way to get to the airfilter?

Seems like a stupid question.. but im gonna give the tl a service myself for a change to save taking it to the dealer.

Will be my first time.....can you give me a min guide!!?
Regards

HB

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
1: remove main seat.

2: undo the two bolts at front of tank.

3: lift tank & prop up (prop stand is located behind seat/rear side fairing - clutch cover side) or use a pice of wood etc.

4: undo 4 screws atop of filter box & remove filter. i think its 4 screws its been a while. i run a K&N.

*NOTE: dont put filter back in upside down*

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, 4 screws, all phillips:thumbup

·
Registered
258 Posts
And when you do, take out those little metal sleeve spacers out of the rubber boots that the screws mounting the front of the tank go through, until you put the airbox lid back on. you don't want one of those little buggers dropping into a throttle body:) and if you forget and it happens, DO NOT pull the throttle! just my .02:)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If you have a steering damper on your bike you have to take it and the bar it mounts to off before you can lift the tank.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
:stupid

As soon as you've got the bellmouths in sight it's time to put something over them to prevent anything from getting in. Something like a sock or a clean bag or so..

Just don't forget to take it of when you put it back together.. and have a look if there's nothing in there.. just for double check.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You might also take a peek into your airbox and note whether or not there is any oil on the bottom. Wipe up any residue and look into a breather mod if there's a lot. What year is your TLS anyhow?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok

Thanks for the replies guys...great help.

I do have a steering damper on so it will be alittle more hassle.

My bike is a 97 tls....and i do seem to be losing oil from somewhere,its not leaking but i notice after a 150 mile run it needs toping up a little.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a dampner mounted on mine and can lift the tank to get to the filter. Maybe I have an oddball :dowhat

Of course I also undid the 32mm bolt holding the front sprocket with my fingers :eek:mg :scared

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah i can (just) sneak my tank past the stock steering damper too, maybe another R vs S thing:laugh :laugh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts