TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I won these carbon fiber heel guards on eBay the other day for $10.50 with $7.00 shipping. Not a bad score for $17.50. When they arrived they were in excellent condition, nearly new.

They were boring looking, and were designed to fit OVER the exsisting heel guards, which made them quite a bit bigger than the standard heel guards, which looked even worse in person held up to the bike.

Here are some pics of them "before":

I knew these just wouldn't do and the fact that they were desined to fit over the exsisting ones kind of defeats the purpose of buying a lighter weight part in the first place... so I got out the Dremel, a Sharpie, Tape, etc... and began modding them a bit.

Here they are after being modded to reduced the overall size and make them look like the stock styling:

And installed on the bike (Yes I know a screw isn't installed on one... this was a "test fit"):

There you have it... I know this takes just basic Dremel skills and minor work, but I wanted to share this because I think these went so cheap on eBay due to their bland original styling. I wanted to share in case anyone else has a chance to get something simillar for cheap, to show how they look modified, and let you know it was super easy, and the new look is much better.

Now I have some genuine (decent looking) CF heel guards for $17.50!

·
Registered
150 Posts
not bad! i still don't got a dremel tho :(

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Nice work .:yes :thumbup

·
Registered
236 Posts
nice work there sir.i am after a nearside c/f guard for my gilles rearset,can buy new but they want £40-$66.ouch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice work!

To make the guards more durable against the bending loads of your heels pressing in, you might consider adding aluminum plates bonded to the inside of the "raised" mounting area, giving the screw heads a more rigid place to work.

This is perhaps one reason that they were designed to go "atop" the originals -- stiffer panels have better "tear out" performance -- an engineering term for the cyclic bending failure that the area under the screw head can exhibit over the long term.

hth..

--frankb

·
Registered
21 Posts
:boring

Still, nice lookin` heelgaurds! :laugh

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
you had to have laid them over the stock one's to dremel them out....correct?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Excellent job. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not bad! i still don't got a dremel tho :(
How you get through life without one puzzles me. Go buy a Dremel or equivalent rotary tool today. Sell something if you have to. You can thank me later.

nice work. Got a link to the seller?
Ike
It was a used set from the seller... I don't think they have stock, but I can list the sale if you want to contact them.

Dude, you must have the hands of a surgeon. That's some straight dremeling.
I followed up the Dremeling with some sandpaper by hand 60 and 100 grit... turned out nice.

Nice work!

To make the guards more durable against the bending loads of your heels pressing in, you might consider adding aluminum plates bonded to the inside of the "raised" mounting area, giving the screw heads a more rigid place to work.

This is perhaps one reason that they were designed to go "atop" the originals -- stiffer panels have better "tear out" performance -- an engineering term for the cyclic bending failure that the area under the screw head can exhibit over the long term.

hth..

--frankb
Ahh... very nice idea... I will definately do that. I have some aluminum laying around actually from another project. Cheers!

you had to have laid them over the stock one's to dremel them out....correct?
Nope... CAREFUL and patient freehand Dremeling followed up with sandpaper to straighten any problem areas out. Just can't rush it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts