TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn damn I had a deal on a set of new Falicon adjustable cam gears lined up for $250, and then it fell thru. Damn damn.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
when i get my motor appart we're going to look at slotting them. anyone done this before? or would anyone be interested in getting it done if it works with mine?

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
The stock gears are pressed on, you would need to make a flange and weld it to the cam, then slot the gear or make an adjustable one, to bolt to the flange.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paging Vandriver

They get one hell of a lot of money for the adjustable gears.

Hey, Vandriver...
Maybe there's some way to mill down the stock gears and turn some kind of base or ring...even if it has to be welded on it's got to work out cheaper than the big bucks Falicon asks.

Or perhaps I just need to find a place that can re-time the stock cams to my specs by pressing them off & on rotated just a bit. After all, people are doing just exactly that to re-time intake cams for exhaust use...

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Gears are expensive to make and not enough people would be interested in removing their cams to have them welded.

Find some used aftermarket cams or you will have to start pressing.

If they were bolt-on it would be a different story.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't even have cams out in my hands to look at...so I'm no expert by a long shot, just frustrated with what's available.

What good will used aftermarket cams do me? They have the same identical problems with not allowing timing adjustments. Now that Vee-Two is not making them, the Falicon gears are all that's available, and they cost as much as cams. If someone made a kit, I'd install it on new aftermarket cams. I'd probably rather weld the hub on than press it on. I'd imagine even part of the Falicon kit needs to be pressed or welded on, or both?

The whole point is to come up with a way to NOT make new ridiculously expensive gears by modifying the stock gears and some kind of ring that can be made more economically. That's the reason the Falicon set is so expensive, the stock gears are not even available separately. Yet they don't fail, nothing wrong with using used gears.

What about some other workable solution to avoid the pressing? How about if I removed the gears, honed the shaft-bore in the gears a bit, adjusted, marked, then had them welded to the shaft? Might be more accurate than trying to press the gears on in-position?

Or how about enlarging the center hole in the gears a lot, and pressing a ring onto the cam, and some way to lock this new "hub" to the gear?

I wonder whether I could order aftermarket cams with a non-stock advance/retard figure, either by them represing the gears or if it's not a lot just by how they weld-up/regrind the profile?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at Art's pistons as damn nice but expensive...the Wisecos being half the money. Then I consider that to use the Wisecos you need to remove studs, mill, replace studs, then get the adjustable gear, suddenly the total cost on the Wisecos cost $100 more than Art's pistons.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The amount of compresion you'll be able to get out of the wiesco's will be a bit limited I think as they are a flat-top design much like the stockers. I think in the end you'll be best of with Art's pistions.

just my 2c

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
I don't even have cams out in my hands to look at...so I'm no expert by a long shot, just frustrated with what's available.

What good will used aftermarket cams do me? They have the same identical problems with not allowing timing adjustments. Now that Vee-Two is not making them, the Falicon gears are all that's available
No, they do not have the same problem. Both V-2 and Spears(which is made by webcam) have adjustable gears.
I bought a set of each used, keep looking.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stand corrected, Web Cam does have adjustable gears, but again they are separate (not with the cams) and just the gears are $475, nearly as expensive as the cams themselves. Total: $1026. For perspective, that's twice what an entire low-mile motor can be found for.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Horsepower costs money, the older these engines get, the harder to find hot rod parts will continue to get more and more expensive. Spend the money :coocoo

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have the money 'till this damn divorce is settled. Putting together this fixer-upper house is vacuuming my wallet clean.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Horsepower costs money, the older these engines get, the harder to find hot rod parts will continue to get more and more expensive. Spend the money :coocoo
+1

werent you talking about exotic rods and unobtainium valves for your uber motor? arts pistons are a steal in the scheme of things and, moreover, hes done all the homework for you.

grab the next set of ebay cams with adjustable gears you see for $400 and be happy? theres a reason they cost $1000. they only set four sets a year. :laugh

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I talk and dream a lot, but cash is tight right now; I shoudl sell something.

The Ferrea valves are only $25 each, and I was only going to get intakes. I'm just disappointed that the seller said I had the adjustable gears for $250, then sold them to somebody else.

Yes, of course Art's pistons would be really great and the bigger bore would let those big intakes breathe really nicely...good price too with the coatings already on...but money is really tight right now, so I really needed a deal that would make a cheaper hop-up feasible. Had a divorce court date scheduled for the 5th and I'm supposed to get a big settlement for the old house, but she's in Thailand that week, so no doubt her lawyer will reschedule. I've been waiting 3 years for this money, and meanwhile I can't pay the property taxes on my post-divorce fixer-upper dump, so I'm a little frustrated. On the positive side, I am making some progress on getting the house put back together.

I'd love to just order some Web Cam cams with 7 degrees less duration and a hair more exhaust lift than their performance cams (kind of half-way between your race cams and the stock TLR cams), shave the heads a hair and shave the cylinder bases a hair, maybe some coatings on the Wiseco pistons which I already have, maybe coatings on the Ferrea valves, and be done for $600 more ($900 total). Should be able to make a torque monster.

If I got Art's by the time I bore & nicasil and get new gaskets it's an additonal thou that I just don't have right now.

I guess the Wisecos are really for use with stock cams...or they'd have made them with a half-point more compression.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SO, how is the cam chain sprocket at the crank configured and attached? Can I use an offset key for a bit of cam timing adjustment there? If I can't adjust the cams individually to fully degree them in, can I at least make a gross correction to the timing chain length to compensate for shaving the heads and cylinders? Or is the crank sprocket welded on or pressed on or something?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The idler chain sprocket is pressed onto the cam-drive gear. They could be pressed apart, honed, and reasembled so they could be adjusted in respect to each other. Then we'd just need some way to lock them after adjustment. Wouldn't allow you to degree each cam individually, but would allow you to correct for milling the heads or cylinders, and would invovle only half the components so it should be cheaper. Plus those idlers are available individually, so it could be done on exchange with a core returned later.

Or if we could just re-press 2 idlers for $25 each and grind down a TLR intake cam to make a better exhaust cam, we could make a modest hop-up kit with the Wisecos for really cheap.
Wisecos with rings and head gaskets $300
Idler mods $50
Turn down 2 TLR intake cams to make exhaust cams (no weld-up) $150
Ferrea valves with the turned-down stems $100
remove studs, mill heads, mill cylinder base, install new studs $250
Under a thou total and I would expect it to be reliable yet noticeably better than stock (but you'd need to find two TLR intake cams as donor cores).

Doing it right using Art's pistons, cams and adjustable sprockets, de-plate bore and nicasil, oversize gaskets, maybe rods & splitting the cases...all nice stuff to do it right, no doubt much much better horsepower as the revs rise, but it starts at two thou for just pistons & cams and the sky's the limit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts