Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of pics from my trip in March

Both taken with my trusty point and click Canon Ixus 400

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...that looks great, is the whole area like that?...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both cities are surrounded by desert, but they are totally green. They spend an absolute fortune irrigating the place so it stays that way. They must have armies of gardeners as every dual carriageway is planted on both sides, in the central reservation and on every roundabout. There are fountains everywhere too - here's a small one in Abu Dhabi.

I went on a desert safari, which is where the camels came in. :)

It's a great place.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice pics:0
my dad worked on a small island just off Abu Dhabi for 27 years.
he hated the place by the end :lol
was it a work or fun trip mate:O
Holiday - have family working there so it was a billy bargain - flights with BA for £300 and a fortnight in the sun. :)

Did you know that the indoor ski slope in the Mall of the Emirates is so big it has a chairlift and a black run in it? :hail

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Nice pics. That place is simply 'delerious' :dowhat

Way too much $$$$ :coocoo

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Been there.. ahh the memories :)

Every day I thank god I'm not still there :lol

Played ruby on the desert sand -they pack it with salt to its like tar -lovely when a 400lb brit grinds your face into it...

And the prayers... every day abuuhhhh buu bahhhh babdda baaahhh.... they play it for the whole city over loudspeaker and everyone takes a nap in the middle of the day

One of the guys bought a fricken alarm clock with the prayer as the alarm -funny shit. Needless to say after about a month it was broken (surprised it made it that long)

Definately some great pics...

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Yep, we got them too when I was in Saudi Arabia..................they all met a nasty fate, usually off the top of the accomodation blocks :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
All that shit is paid for my US. :rant

Freaking ski lift in the desert :coocoo

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
i thought the camels came with the hotel room. kinda like sheep in the uk.

sweet pics though. i just don't like heat.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Nice trip Misses. I would like to go some day but I find scotland too hot sometimes....ok rarely ...but I believe its scaddin hot over there..Looks peachy though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
:coocoo I've been there twice and HATED it. I worked at the Port of Jebel Ali on a coiuple of USNS Tugs. Every place that we the contractors went everybody constantly stared at us. Very uncomfortable feeling. The first time I was there that hotel was being built. As far as I'm concerned they can keep it.:thumbdown

·
Registered
758 Posts
I was there once and it was such a wierd place. So sterile and overdone.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Did you know that the indoor ski slope in the Mall of the Emirates is so big it has a chairlift and a black run in it? :hail
Sadly, I think it's taller than our "Ski Areas" here in Ohio. :banghead :laugh

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah i was in dubai in march when my submarine pulled in on deployment. The gold and jewelry there was crazy cheap. Everyone stares at you so i guess you just gotta go with it. I thougt it was way overdone in everything. The emerits mall was pretty sick...
we stayed at the royal ascot and that was ridiculously overdone too, with the bar about 10ft from your room...and another bar outside.
Gotta watch those cabbies, those bastards will pull over for prayer, lottery tickets, you name it, i guess it was alright in dubai, i would rather go back to singapore though....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Singapore.... Oh YEAH!! I know you have been to the ORCHARD TOWERS, four floors of? What did they call that? Anyways looking forward to going back there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep the Four floors of hores...Singapore was definately the place that increased my drinking habit the most...guess thats what comes out of drinking until 6am every day, sleeping then starting up again at 9am...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts