TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it religously since I'm about to buy a TLS. It's a 97 with a little over 16k miles on it. What issues should I look for while examining it? If no FI light comes on, should I put it in "dealer" mode to check codes? I understand that the TL "ticks" on idle, what is acceptable and what is not? I live in USA, what would be a fair price if everything looks good?

Thanks in advance...!

-Shane

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
At 16k miles, it's barely getting started.

check rear damper mounts for cracks, if bolts get loose they bang against the mounting tabs and can be broken, easily fixed though with an all in one shock/spring unit.

clutch cover leaking is common, easily fixed.

clutch slipping at higher gears at higher rpm's is fairly common, easily fixed.

going on 65k miles on mine, runs all over the western us....bike has been bullet proof in 10 years of ownership.

I would guess around 3.5k, give or take depending on what upgrades it has on it.

there isn't anything you could ask that hasn't been discussed at length here, feel free to search and browse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
:hail I bought mine a month ago, in phoenix, 97 tls with 11k, full m4 system, pcII, undertail and flush mount front turn signals, gel battery, k and n and flapper mod..............asking 3600, got it for 2700.......it idled wierd on the side stand.............some seafoam and TPO mod............put over 1700 miles on it sice going full castrol 10w-50 synth, and lovin/ it!:hail

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Buy it, you'll love it. It's an awesome bike as is (although it needs a few simple mods to bring it up with the '98+ - though this may have been done with a dealer recall); and with a few mods she can be incredible....I've beaten R1's, GSXR1000K6's etc etc while racing; and I use the same bike for commuting to work; and for the odd touring holiday. And she hasn't missed a beat in 46 000 odd kilometers:hail. Now that's what I call an all round reliable machine. AND it sounds :drool

·
Registered
585 Posts
look for frame cracks around the steering neck up front

look for cracks on the damper mount in back

thats the only two issues that would make me not buy a TL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the tips! I traveled 3 hrs to Greensboro, NC to look at it today (Friday). It was so clean! The guy had Two Bros installed on it and it sounds soooo good, growls like a freakin' lion... good stuff. I went down my extensive check list, not a darn thing wrong with it. I asked the guy for a test drive and I drove it around the block, was perfect. We finally settled on a deal of $2800 (from $3000 was what he wanted). Gave him the cash, then drove it 100+ miles back home in the rain. The best 100+ miles of my entire life... rain included. I am now an official TLS owner... and proud of it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts