TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to going home soon for R/R, and I am toying with the idea of messing with my suspension. I have the stock dampner and stock shock on my TLR. Now my question is:

1) Should I already consider my stock dampner and shock garbage? Or should I play with the settings?

2)Is there a place to adjust the settings on the stock dampner?

3) Should I buy a aftermarket shock and dampner, if I don't plan on racing my TLR?

Now on to forks.

Right now, my forks seem fine. I have heard about people replacing the internals in them. What is the purpose of this. I'm 6ft 230 lbs. If that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...with your weight, you may want 1.0 or 1.1 kg springs up front and a little heavier weight oil...

I'd also go with an aftermarket rear shock, your bike will feel transformed... its just hard to get proper sag dialed in with the stock equip with what most TL riders weigh...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Armydog said:
I am going to going home soon for R/R, and I am toying with the idea of messing with my suspension. I have the stock dampner and stock shock on my TLR. Now my question is:

1) Should I already consider my stock dampner and shock garbage? Or should I play with the settings?

2)Is there a place to adjust the settings on the stock dampner?

3) Should I buy a aftermarket shock and dampner, if I don't plan on racing my TLR?

Now on to forks.

Right now, my forks seem fine. I have heard about people replacing the internals in them. What is the purpose of this. I'm 6ft 230 lbs. If that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
do a search!!!!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
spring and valve the forks, shitcan the stock dampers and start over.

new bike.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dog, you probably would have guessed that a good amount of cats on this site will say shitcan the stocker stuff and get new. Even though I can agree the rear shock is not the best... (actually no, its a POS:laugh) but I have found you can adjust it to make a little better. I'm 6' 260 and I adjusted the stock forks and rear shock and my bike handles way better (I can only imagine what new high performance stuff would do). I believe I found easy to do settings for race and road riding over on the TLP. It was super easy and all you need to know how to do is count. There may be a place here that has similar information. I think your best bet is to do a search, find some info, then play with your suspension. Otherwise in my opinion you will get 942 other opinions on what to buy and how to set stuff. Good luck

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the help everybody. I just don't want to start throughing things out and finding out that the stock equipment was OK to use for the type of riding that I will be doing. I have been off of the riders seat for a while and I just recently starting riding again. I am not the best rider compared to a lot of people on here. I do, one day want to do some track days. But I want to get more seat time in before I do. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Adjusting rider's sag front & rear then tweaking the comp & rebound settings are not really all that difficult & work extremely well for ALL types of riding. If that 9 year old bike hasn't had the fork oil changed (most haven't) the forks will NEVER do what they are designed to do as the fork oil has long been dead. If you haven't ridden in a long time & get on a badly set up bike basically you will learn how to ride a bike that doesn't perform. It will feel OK as you ride around it's limitations but when you are thrown a weird road situation & have to do something more extreme to avoid a bad situation the bike will not respond right & you will probably end up sliding down the pavement. Setting up a suspension is not really JUST a race track thing. Once you get the rider's sag set "in the range", change the fork oil & adjust the comp & rebound front/rear and set it so the bike is in balance the bike will be a very good platform for ALL types of riding.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts