TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently have gotten the opportunity to purchase a 1990 CBR1000F for rediculously cheap because it wont start. He claims it will get going by roll starting it and popping the clutch, and will run great after that, but it wont start electrically. From the photos, the bike seems to be in pretty decent condition, and I'm gonna need to move quick at the price he's advertising.

what do you think the problem could be? wiring? starter? if it does get running by roll starting then I'm 99% sure I'm gonna snatch it up.

what do you guys think?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
battery? :O

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the first thing I thought of, but seems too trivial for him to be selling it so cheap. He said he already had the timing and valve lash adjustments done, and that it "just one day stopped" starting electrically.

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Nothing is too trival for the masses to overlook. I know a guy who bought a car for about 1/4 of what it was worth because it didn't run right. The air filter was so dirty it wasn't getting any air. If the bike runs, then it must be the battery, starter, relay or wiring.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Starter solinoid or safty switch would be my guess:)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the thing could still run with any one of these things wrong? man, I might get the deal of the century...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
yeah, all they do is engauge the starter motor. On my older VF500 even all the safty switches (clutch and well, that's about it) just prevent the starter motor from doing its thing. Its probably something really simple.

good luck

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
:stupid If it runs, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
man it could even be something as lame as a clutch safety switch that wont let the starter engage, or on some bikes it has to be in neutral to let the starter engage and maybe that indicator is bad. Hell i'd buy it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
MrTucker said:
He said he already had the timing and valve lash adjustments done, and that it "just one day stopped" starting electrically.
I hope it works out to be an awesome deal, but something about it sounds strange. Obviously he has the proper maintenance done such as timing and valve adjustments, but hasn't looked at all into a potentially EASY fix and instead decides to sell it dirt cheap? Maybe I'm too skeptical :banana But the other hand if it runs good then no problem! If you can get it started, buy buy buy!

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
So, did you get it?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not yet. He was supposed to call me back, but I haven't heard back from him. I just fired off another email telling him to get back with me, even if it's gone

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
If I were to bet. It would be the start clutch bush or something. The casting is broken in the engine, the gear removed, and never to be fitted again unless you get new cases. :dunno

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, never heard back from the guy. we spoke twice and had it all settled, then no word :argh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts