TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking for work & found a job posting on Craig's List for a escrow assistant position that sounded fairly interesting. The ad is here:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/acc/243911447.html I responded to the ad & my email message bounced back to me as the reply address' email box was full.

Hmmm. That's not a good sign when job hunting.

So I waited 14 hours & resent the message & got the following email response a short time later. Seems like a fishing scam to me as they want a whole lot of personal information without an interview & they already have my resume that has quite a bit of personal info in it as well. From dealing with members on this site with international funds transfers I know the following message has a several factual misrepresentations. On the attached MS Word form they attached to their reply email they want a scanned copy of either my passport or driver's license, want my DOB, home phone number & my Paypal account name & what type of Paypal account it is. That's a wee bit more info than I have ever given on a job interview! Me thinks this is scam city & I want to alert Craig's List to this guy but am not 100% sure. What do you guys think?

Hello DOBS,

Thank you for applying for the position of the Finance correspondence assistant/manager in KITTRADING Company. I was pleased to review your resume.

The company was established five years ago. Our company works with auction payments. We are third party company between international sellers (from Europe and Asia) and american buyers. Company's goal is to deliver payments to our worldwide sellers and merchandise to buyers. It is impossible for people living outside of the USA to receive payments (such as money orders, cashiers checks, paypal) on E-bay, Yahoo, Best buy and other great and low cost Internet markets. We take of it!

Our sellers are individuals and companies who want to sell their merchandise on higher prices.

KITTRADING Company is one of the leaders in wholesale produce distribution is seeking a dynamic individuals to be responsible for the areas of package operations and management, financial control and management, customer service. This is part-time work and it will take you about 4-5 hours of your free time per week.

Salary - $50 per received package/operated transfer + base salary $2000 per month.
Bonuses: we pay bonuses once a month if you do your job well.

Necessary documents that should be filled:
1. EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT
2. Personal information form (PIF)
3. Proof of your existence: Passport, Drivers License, Phone bill or other document that proofs your identity. *

We understand the importance of handling forwarder information in a professional and confidential manner.
We know that privacy is an important element of our forwarders confidence in us and we understand that our forwarders expect us to collect and retain personal information responsibly.
We take great care to ensure your personal information is kept safe. Information is sometimes shared within KITTRADING Company family for purposes that could benefit you such as delivery management and other general business practices.
We only contract with respectable, carefully screened third-party financial and non-financial companies that offer our customers valuable merchandise and services. Our partners are: staples.com, digitallyunique.com and many others. Their services are highly rated.

All reports, letters forms and templates are include all necessary information to fill in and should be attached to this email.

Important notes:
EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT should be signed, scanned (or faxed (631) 792-1259) to this email.**
PIF should be completed and sent to this email in MS Word format only.

** Should be filled and signed by hand only, no exceptions are made.

Thank you again for interesting in our offer. Hope I answered all questions you could ask and explained details. Wish you join our community soon.

Justin Davis
KITTRADING Company
Hiring manager

:firescammers :pissleft

·
Registered
39 Posts
I say scam :mad

though they might give you a job for a while. I have seen these before. They buy stuff with stolen credit cards, send it to you, You send it to Nigeria or Russia and make a bit of $$. That is until the cops show up at your door and they have already moved on to another "forwarder".

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have never heard of a potential employer needing your personal Paypal details - definitely scam.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
+1 for spotty english and grammar

tape a couple black pieces of paper together and fax it to that number at night. be sure to tape the ends together to form a loop. then go to bed. stop fax in the morning.

-:banana

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Sorry, but I would NEVER give as much personal information to ANY employer.
In fact, nobody should EVER ask for your paypal account. That's like your right hand, you'll never give it away.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The bit about not being able to receive paypal outside the US is bull. I've never had a problem dealing with the US or Japan. Sounds like an identity theft scam.

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Yep Dob, it's a scam. Phishing on the job sites is becoming a big time operation since people seem to leave their guard down when looing over these sites. This is just a variation on that theme. You even need to watch posting resumes and such since the really good crooks only need some real basic info to do a number on you. Name and address can be enough if they know what they're doing. If nothing else a look at the spelling and grammar in the email should be a dead giveaway. Good job spotting this one before they got you. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Crashtd... YOU THA MAN.... looping the fax paper, and all black... that is CLASSIC!!! and as for the ad, yeah, sounds like a scam... no office to walk into? no telephone number? justa fax number...hmmm, they'd be lucky to get my email address.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Hmmm, did a quick Google and here's what i found..
http://kittrading.com/contacts.html

Ok, so whose in NY that could stop by the office and talk to the Receptionist there????

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was bored at work so I did some research on this. Scams like this fascinate me for some reason.

First, from a job description on there web site:

Those people who are accepted for this job will follow these simple instructions:

1. Receive the fiance correspondence and wire transfers from our company to his/her home address
2. Report to our manager (every candidate will be included to the manager list)
3. Receive special instructions from manager for WesternUnion/MoneyGram transfer.
4. Transfer funds according instructions to company(not later 1 business day).
You will receive an e-mail instruction for each transfer.
5. Provide Control number of the transfer(MTCN).
6. Check your e-mail 1-2 times per day (every hour is welcome)

This is pretty much the definition of "how to launder money". Which with a bit of research you can see they have been doing for years.

The current register of their domain is:

Robert F Cholerton
(919) 772-9363
(919) 772-9183
1305 Sycamore Dr, Garner, NC 27529

This is probably a stolen identity or some poor guy that answered on e of their adds. All of their older sites were registered in the US under different Names.

On the website they claim the business started in 2000 but the website has only been up since May 2006.

Their New york phone number 718 504-6111 is associated with several sites that have been taken down over the years.
shipandpay.com
finance-pilot.com
taleongroup.com
unionpost.net

Most of these are from 2004 so it looks like they took a break and then came back. The one common thread I saw was thogh all thier companies claimed offices all around the world most of them seemed to have a Latvia office.

Not only is it a scam, but if you participate and transfer money for them you can end up in prison.

fun stuff.

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
+1 for spotty english and grammar

tape a couple black pieces of paper together and fax it to that number at night. be sure to tape the ends together to form a loop. then go to bed. stop fax in the morning.

-:banana
Oh that is a classic!!! Now if I could only get the fax numbers of the companies that fax me the endless vacation and refinancing garbage 40 times a day!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Talking about scammers..:rant

I've received a mail from pay-pal today looking quite pay-pal to me. Asking to confirm my account or so. Very questionable reply adres made me look again and of course didn't fall for it. A little later I realised that I'm not even using my hotmail account for paypal but my gmail account :banghead

Anyways.. be f*ck*n carefull with that kinda stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work bubbles7361! Yeah I pretty much knew it was a scam just shedding some light on yet a new one. Bastages get you to send them a resume & a cover letter so they already have some info on you. Since they really didn't do a whole lot to describe the job in the original job posting it seemed reasonable although the salary range was a little high. That is depending on how much time they want you to work. I know a few people working in the mortgage loan / real estate field so the stated salary wan't too far off if you put lots of time into it. The stuff you dug up "oh me brother" was way over the top. Like the old Monty Python song with a modern redone a bit:
"Scam, scam, scam, scam,
Scam, scam, scam, scam,
Wonderful scam, wonderful scam!

Never head of the taped together black paper fax! Nice.

Hey Alex, old matey, you up for some ultra violence after a trip to the Karova milk bar?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts