1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I did the same thing with my boys, but only one of them turned out to like bikes. He is 14 now and wants his own bike. He still acts like that little Ryan everytime he gets off my bike. The oldest one hates bikes because he got burned on the exhaust pipe. Makes it real easy to ride with them because only one wants to ride, but I miss them at that age.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's great:thumbup

Aredubu, 14yo kid and no bike! Whatchya waiting for - he'd fit perfectly on a KX100 I bet:devious

have fun

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
He's too tall. He's 6'1" tall. Too tall for a 100, and not skilled enough for a 125. Thinking about an ATV.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Noooooooooooo! Don't turn your child into a quadtard! :)

Get him a dirt bike....even a 125. He's gotta start somewhere, have him take it easy, take him to easy places and let him build his skills. Putting him on an ATV isn't going to give him really any motorcycling skills at all, except maybe shifting.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Aredubu said:
He's too tall. He's 6'1" tall. Too tall for a 100, and not skilled enough for a 125. Thinking about an ATV.
You haven't looked at what's available if you believe that. I have a KX80 in the garage that fits me just fine and I'm 6'4". Well, okay, the suspension is a bit soft,:laugh but it's plenty tall enough.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Loves me some kids on bikes

Sniff.........my baby just left tonight to go back to school.......sniff

Started her early!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
He's not going to get skilled till you put him on a bike. I say nab a 125cc MX bike (they are dirt cheep since 250F's have taken over the racing world) and sign him up for dirt riding school (generall held at most motocross tracks from time to time - TonyD runs a very good one). He'll learn quickly enough. A quad is 10x harder (and less fun) to ride well than a motorcycle.

He'd be a little cramped on a 100, but not really all that bad. No more so than on a sport bike. A KX100 would have more than enough hp to keep him happy for quite some time. My wife has one that I ride fairly frequently and on a tight harescramble course I can turn quicker laps on it than my CR250.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get him a 125. I've got two boys an 8yr and 13. youngest has 50cc pocket bike. and 13 yr has 110cc four stroke pocket bike 4 speed manual. I bought yz 125 mx. and rebuilt the motor. road a week and gave it to my son

·
Registered
945 Posts
My 8 year old son is my favorite passenger. He's light and knows to look into the direction that we are turning. Recently I felt him shifting a bit from side to side around corners. I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was trying to get a knee down. :laugh Now he's getting pretty good on his own bike and I can't wait for us to ride together next summer. :) But first Dad has to get himself a dirt bike. :devious

1 - 11 of 11 Posts