TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've owned my rather modified TLR for a few months now and am having a few riding issues.. If anyone could assist it would be much appreciated..

1) The bike has a Hyperpro rear shock and Gixxer 1000 front forks (revalved for the TLR's weight) and the rear feels very nervous in the wet easily breaking grip both handling and braking...

2) It has the 1/5 throttle insert but im still finding it hard to twist the throttle fully open. It takes alot of stretch in my wrist unlike my other bikes.. any tips?

3) Its originally an American market model and i ordered a TRE from America for it.. When fitted all i got was the 'chec' light.
The reason for wanting a TRE is the bike has a High Compression pistons, ported & flowed heads etc plus full M4 system but doesn't seem as fast as the expected HP predicts.. (compared with a new GSXR750 and CBR600RR)

Perhaps a bit vague but i hope you guys can point me in the right direction with some of these points.. Its kinda blunting the ownership experience..

Many thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
What are you expecting for HP from this bike? I would question what is actually done to the bike. Tons of work into this motor will only get you an added 20 HP. You probably have some big torque numbers though and that will make it very twitchy in the wet. My stock motor with only bolt on mods was very slippery when wet/ cold and often broke loose on dry ground.

You are losing traction when braking, you probably need some suspension adjustment

Throttle insert... might want to check over the whole throttle mod and make sure everything is OK. You might have higher revvs than normal from all the work. So it may seem like you spend a lot of time bending the wrist back.

The TRE, probably a piece of crap. Get a different one.

If you think she is riding a bit rough then do a TB Sync and TPS adjust -may fix your throttle postition problems too.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
1. twichy rear end, in the rain... may be due to the type of rubber you are running, or the age/wear of said rubber. Hyperpro/Ohlins/Penske should fix almost all the TLR rear end problems if they are set up properly for the riders weight.

2. are you sure it's still got the 1/5th insert in it? easy to check, pull the node apart on that side and see if there is a little ring of plastic on the grip where the cables ride...

if not, your 1/5th throttle has been removed.. (or never installed)

if it's there, and you still want a shorter throttle... I make a 1/5.5 that reduces the 72' (1/5) to about 67-68' Still fits in the housing and uses the stock cables so nothing else to get, takes a little finess getting it in but it has been done half a dozen times.

3. You sure you got the right TRE... there is one for the early two wire TLS's, or if it is for the TLR, it may not be wired right... Also make sure the kill switch is in the "on" position... the "chec" may not have anything to do with the TRE.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys for the feedback..
ITs running a 180 rear tire as i know the previous owner was trying to make it steer faster.. which may not help.
I think a full suspension re-setup to my body weight wouldnt go a miss..
I'm pretty certain the 1/5 insert is still there.. The 1/5.5 sounds good. I may be up for trying one of those.

The Kill switch was definitely on.. as when i reconnected everything back to normal, all worked fine. A Bad TRE sounds the case.

Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would think that if the suspension is the cause, then your bike's gonna feel nervous in both wet and dry. I'm not ruling it out though, as funky suspension settings or components can do wierd things I'd imagine, so set your sag and go from there. Those things should be done anyways when you get a new bike.
Setting my sag and getting the other settings at least within the ballpark made my riding experience 100x more enjoyable.

If your sag is set, rebound and comp. settings not off the charts, and the rear dances around only in the rain... I'm leaning towards tires on that one. What kind of rubber you got on there, condition, age, pressures? I'm not a suspension expert by any means, but that's the direction I'd personally go on this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts