TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nice footage. Funny that on the cool off lap during the qualifying race the supermotard guy heard your TL coming & looked back around to see what was up. "Ugly start" though - that was funny, thought the same thing...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had great starts last year. I've had a bit of a mental block since a startline incident last year. I creeped on the rest of the starts for the day after that to stay in the fun. Brembo MC might not help but at least it will look pretty

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Jeez! What exhaust do you have on your bike? And what's the idle set at? It sounds frickin' sweeeet :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be surprised to hear that I run stock GSXR1000 cans on stock headers. We have unique sound challenges to be able to run at Mission but everyone is in the same boat so it's not so bad. Everyone loves the twin there at least. Nice to be different

I prefer a low idle of around 1k RPM on the TLR. It seems a lot more important to dial it up on the i-4's. I've tried running it higher and the bike seems much better settled with a low idle.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Brembo MC? You sure looked like the man on the brakes. That guy in front of you on most of the Formula 40 race looked like he had the motor but you had the brakes to keep him from getting away. Too bad about the starts...you'll get it back and then you'll be in business.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just wondering..

What kind of gains do you get with a set of GSXR1000 cans instead of the original TLR cans?

I run original TLR cans with M4-headers on my TLR, but would like something more free-flowing that still keeps the noise down. Most of our tracks doesn't allow me to use the M4 end-cans :-/

Greetings
Johnny

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the 03/04 type. Try picking them up and you'll see. The GSXR ones have titanium cores so they're at least half the weight. They fit the same flanges as the stock TLR cans but the the tabs have to be hacked off that they have to be attached with straps as they don't line up with the stock TLR mounting points. Given the dyno numbers I've seen GSXR1000's pull with stock exhausts (and that's just one can), they obviously don't have any issues with flow. They're dime a dozen and make great sliders too. :D

I can't post up a WTB here but I've been looking everywhere for an M4 header system to flange to the stock GSXR cans. I practically gave my full M4 away when we were hit with new sound rules and the stock headers really seem to be a hinderance.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ahhh... That sounds nice. I use the M4 pipework and have a pair of custom made adapters to get from slip-on to bolt-on. Thus I should be able to use the GSXR cans with no trouble at all. I'm already using the stock cans with straps since the original mounting tabs on the frame are gone, so that's not a problem either.

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Greetings from Denmark
Johnny

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any time. I have my bike down to a reliable 84-85 Db's the way that we measure it. I'd really like to find a full system without the cans and do exactly what you're doing. If you need any other advice for sound, let me know as we're pretty well required to be as quiet or quieter than a stock bike in order to race.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol......I am the man on the brakes. I have a 19x20 Brembo brake master, and nice lines, pads and rotors. I'm getting a Brembo Clutch for some more feel on the starts. If I can get those in business and a bit more motor, next year might be interesting in the classes I don't usually try to be competitive in.

gixxerjasen said:
Brembo MC? You sure looked like the man on the brakes. That guy in front of you on most of the Formula 40 race looked like he had the motor but you had the brakes to keep him from getting away. Too bad about the starts...you'll get it back and then you'll be in business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts