TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of people have asked about my lastest track/race bike, an odd choice, a Kawasaki ER6N or Ninja 650R to you foreign bods :lol

As you know I can’t leave things alone and 62bhp, 160 rear tyre and crap forks needed addressing…….

First was the donor bike, a slightly damaged 2007 model ER6F (faired)

First job was to get it on it’s wheels and sort the front end at the same time.

So a TLR Bottom Triple combined with a TLS LSL top Triple was pulled from stock with a pair of GSXR1000K4 forks and a TL front wheel.

The headstock spindle was pressed out of the bottom triple to allow the recess to be increased to in effect give a longer spindle. TL bearings were knocked straight in and a few mods to the locking rings, aswell as new lockstops made. The Kawasaki ignition was milled to give clearance to the Kawasaki headstock.

Next was the rear end, the stock wheel is only 5” (160 tyre) and although ok gave me a headache trying to get cheap sticky tyres and wets, so a Suzuki 600 SRAD wheel was bought and extensively modified to get the disc and sprocket aligned

·
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At the same time a Nitron Rear shock was fitted aswell as a Two Brothers Can and PCIII/Quickshifter. A few Airbox mods were done, O2 eliminator, Pair Valve Removed, secondary butterflies removed, Rizoma Rearsets, Vandriver Master Cylinder Reservoir, Pazzo shorties, DG8 Gear Indicator etc

A pair of Fibreglass radiator cowls were bought from Twinshack Racing

I then ran the bike for 5 months before deciding I loved it, and was then happier to throw some money at the engine to keep the bigger boys behind a bit longer on the straights ! The corner speed and braking points on this thing are unreal !

So, a pair of JE 13.5:1 Pistons were ordered from the US, a pair of cams were sent to Kent for a custom profile, I bored the throttle bodies 4mm, opened up the valve seat throats, flowed the heads, increased the exhaust port outlet sizes and made bigger exhaust headers.

A while later I changed to a Kawasaki Versy’s alloy swingarm which is 1.5Kg lighter and much stronger around the chain adjuster area, I’ve seen wheels move back on the disc side in the swingarm from extra power….

·
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The result was an increase of 30% to 80bhp, the actual figure was around 83-84 but we had to run it rich on the top end to err on the side of caution as the O2 probe was stalling at around 7.5k and really needs an O2 boss welding in one of the headers.

Had a bit of success with it before the engine work, and it really does bring a big smile to my face ringing it’s little neck around the outside of GSXR’s :bigfinger

Here’s a few action shots

·
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a cool-looking bike ya got there. Awesome mods. Have you ridden it since the swinger change?
The engine work and swinger were finished last weekend, trackday booked for this Saturday to test :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Fantastic work! :hail :drool

Is the built motor running on pump fuel or race gas?

·
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Nice! A versys would make the daily commute a bit more interesting with just a bit more kick to it. I think I'll be referring to this thread if I wind up with one next fall :devious I think the stock versys front end would be good enough for my purposes (its a bit better than the ER6F/N front end - inverted cartridge forks I believe). Could use some better brakes though.

Has anyone messed about with big bore or stroker stuff?

Oh :idea How about a small blower :laugh

·
15,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! A versys would make the daily commute a bit more interesting with just a bit more kick to it. I think I'll be referring to this thread if I wind up with one next fall :devious I think the stock versys front end would be good enough for my purposes (its a bit better than the ER6F/N front end - inverted cartridge forks I believe). Could use some better brakes though.

Has anyone messed about with big bore or stroker stuff?

Oh :idea How about a small blower :laugh
Tony (133bhp) and RossP have Versy's, Tony is riding his at Cadwell this saturday. They are more practical as far as luggage options etc.

They do have lower comp pistons and milder cams but nothing that can't be sorted.

There's not much room for bigger bore as the cylinders are pretty close already. I've been totally on my own as far as tuning knowledge is concerned, nobody has done anything except a few race teams :banghead

There is a German Show bike running a Turbo :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I think I've seen the pics of the german bike :drool
http://www.ninja6zone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5868

I took a test ride on the versys and liked it reasonably well, just found it a bit boring. I've not been on the ER6 yet. Here they are all very affordable as compared to most new bikes - new versys are going for under $6k (and I've a friend with a kawak dealership so might be able to do a little better:devious).

I'd guess that a versys with ER6 cams and those JE pistons might be quite nice for bopping around town. I'm not close to buying yet, but do like planning/window-shopping/drooling:laugh I wonder how much room there is in the cases/crank to move the crank pin out a little. I'm going to need a very good shop to play in one of these days.

Anyhow, we'll see. I also sorta want a bigger bike for more touring and two up stuff with Pilette. Not sure what I'll end up there, but probably something like a Ulysses or Multistrada or tiger or similar. The versys would haul us, but is a bit too cramped for two people.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I wish I had the time/machinery/talent/know-how to do all of that. I'm usually happy to be able to change oil and check valve clearances! :hail

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
oh an Sam will you marry me and be my personal mechanic :hail

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
fair play fella, the tuning Don!!:hail. nice track bike that

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Nice work sam, but got to stop calling it a pizza bike. Its an "ER8"!

Bikepilot, V is underated, even bog standard with budget componenets, on 60hp or less, embarrassed just about everything last time out at the track. (vid somewhere on here) Geared up slightly, Carried two of us fully loaded 3,000 to corsica and back with no drama. Get a good secondhand one cheap, cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I got a chance to put about 25 miles on one. Does seem quite a nice bike. Physically there isn't enough space for my wife and I to be comfy on it but I've no doubt the bike would handle the load just fine:)

Funny thing is that so far used ones have only dropped by a few hundred $$ as opposed to new - perhaps by next fall:devious

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Strange prices so high, dropped considrably here. 2010 version is out soon, that should help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts