TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead :rant :bawling

So I've got the top off the old BMW V8 cos it's smoking like a 70s newspaper hack. Having bought all the bits I think I need to fix it I get in there to find there's a 2" bit of hose that's split and guess what? You can't buy it separately so there's another £50 to BMW to get a new crank case breather tube.

Never mind thinks I. While I'm in here I'll do the valley pan gasket. I'll just hop on the bike and run up to Halfrauds for a few bits and bobs. Where are my bike keys? Oh crap! They are in the ignition and the bike has been left turned on since Sunday when my daughter was mucking about sitting on the bike. I now have one very dead tiller and probably a terminally dead, very expensive Shorai lithium battery.

And no transport.

Doncha just hate days like this?

:(

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
lithiums recover very well. dont let it charge too fast or get hot doing it/

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As indeed I just found out. Plugged in the charger and nothing. Wouldn't even show a connection. So next I hooked it up in parallel with the spare lithium battery I have lying about. This gave the Shorai enough of a kick to resurrect it. It's been sat on the charger for the last couple of hours so should be good to go by now.

I also got the manifold off the beemer and discovered that the other end of the vent tube from the split hose was brittle and fractured so having to buy the new one is not such a headache after all.

With things looking up like this I think I'll go find a lottery to play.

:thumbup

·
Moderator,
8,217 Posts
This is why, as I get older, I sometimes look at a job and say, "That looks like something I'm willing to pay someone to do." :laugh

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
This is why, as I get older, I sometimes look at a job and say, "That looks like something I'm willing to pay someone to do." :laugh
Same here, it used to be a case of thinking if I do it myself I'll save 50 quid.
Now it's a case of it'll only be 50 quid to pay someone else to do it. :laugh

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In this case I saved myself at least a grand. Manifold off, did the valley pan gasket, new inlet manifold seals, replaced half the crank case vent system. There's about 10 hrs work in that lot, if you know what you are doing. (24hrs in my case since I'm an idiot :) )

It was either that or ditch the car but a replacement for the old bus with anything like the same standard as a good E39 is £2.5K upwards.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I do like the old beamers, its a shame there not made anywhere near as well these days.
My old 330ci is 16 years old now. Runs nicely, it has a slight oil leak from the rocker cover gasket, keep meaning to get it done, asked the garage to do it whiles they did the MOT a month ago, he said don't worry about it, it's my leaking a little bit, couldn't even give them my money.
Should start to drive it again in about a month. It's only covered about 300 miles since march, 3,200 in the last year, I do use my bikes a lot in the summer,
My mechanic says I'm the only person he has ever known to buy a 3.0 rear wheel drive car to use in the winter. :lol :lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a 320ci m sport for a while that leaked oil from just about everywhere but it kept me busy keep mending it. The final straw was valve stem seals the persuaded me to move it on.
Real wheel drive in the winter is the law for maximum grin factor.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Proper winter tyres and these rwd beemers are fine in the snow.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Proper winter tyres and these rwd beemers are fine in the snow.
I know. My Michelin alpin 4's will be going on around November time. Never had a problem In the snow with them fitted.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nokian WRA4s are doing the business on the E61 LCI and Michelin cross-climates on the old 535i.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts