TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than making my cans smaller ... what if I made them bigger? :laugh
Now, I'm just wondering, mind ... I doubt I'll do it EVER but I was thinking about it today ...

Between the sleeves that we can see & the perforated sleeve inside there's just like cotton wool right? So what difference would it make if there was more cotton wool in a larger volume of muffler?

G

·
you would make em a bit quieter. :yes

look at the muflers from the race teams, the diameter is very small there. = very noisy

the more wool, the more damping.

G

·

you see a very big inner diameter for max aurflow, and a small outter diameter, so almost no wool.

much bigger outter tube = more wool, = softer sound :)

edit i dont know if it's just cotton wool, i doubt it. There's also some steel wool around the perforated tube to hold the regular wool better in place.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it restrict the flow that much? I mean if say, the cans were the same size as the original ones but with a straight through core like the Yosh's etc ..?

G

·
i don't think the wool has a noticeable impact on airflow. Just sound damping.

The race teams put lesser wool and a smaller outter can for weight reasons, and for the fact that they can make as much noise as they want. Different story on public roads ;)

Airflow is all about the inner straight through diameter, length and design of pipework :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Theres not much fiberglass wool in the stock cans only they are chambered in such a way to make the exhaust expand and get muffled.

·
Registered
528 Posts
fibre glass wool? COTTON WOOL????

what are you guys on?

lol

its steel wool!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
that looks like a good impression of a TLS that the SV is doing there!
spotted dude...:) i was looking at the cans.....:laugh
all the cans i've rebuilt have been done with fibre glass packing.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts