TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
from cold start the bike dies after couple mins of starting.
runs fine and stays running after a short ride
bike has 90k miles on it.

thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
SmartBiker, have you made any progress on this issue yet?

Sorry for the late response....馃様
i replaced the side stand switch. still shutting down. im gonna try to check the connection for the gear position sensor. where is that connection located? thank you

Registered
While the gear position sensor (GPS) does provide an alternate ground connection for the side stand relay (SSR), it should not impact the engagement of the SSR while the tranny is in Neutral and the side stand is down. If it does, that tells you the sidestand circuit is not working properly.
Does the neutral light remain illuminated during these episodes?

Since you say the bike "runs fine and stays running after a short ride," I doubt the GPS is the issue. Otherwise, it would most likely give you problems during normal operation also.
However, one caveat comes to mind regarding the GPS. If the pink wire is severed or making a poor connection at some point, the ECM will not be able to read the GPS value and thereby it may be using the wrong fuel tables at idle. Then again, the ECM may simply use the blue wire (neutral) to determine if the neutral map is accessed or not. I'm not sure about the details of this map selection. Just something to think about.
For reference, the GPS wires exit the engine on the clutch side toward the rear behind the clutch cover.

I would rather suspect that the problem you are experiencing is thermal in nature. In particular, as the engine warms up, the fueling changes due to the coolant temperature sensor (and other factors). It may be that your TL is simply due for throttle body and TPS adjustment. These settings, along with idle speed, can have a significant impact on idle behavior, especially when the engine is cold.

Do you typically use the 'cold start lever' when starting the engine? Also, when the engine dies, does the idle decrease and sputter to a stop, or does it abruptly die with no trailing off?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
the neutral lamp flickers when the bike is cold from a cold start. it dies abruptly when idling on the side stand. raise stand up, start it it stays running. clutch switch works. replaced and relocated the regulator with a MOSFET one. i get 14-14.6volts output. everything is stock but that. has no driveability issues whatsoever.

Registered
SmartBiker, there may be something to your GPS Theory.

However, first, I need to correct one of my statements from the previous post. I said, "...I doubt the GPS is the issue. Otherwise, it would most likely give you problems during normal operation also." Actually, during normal operation - driving down the road, in gear - the ground connection through the GPS is not used. Rather, the ground connection provided by the side stand switch is what keeps the side stand relay (SSR) engaged. So then, if the GPS ground connection were intermittent, it would not be evident until the transmission is in neutral and the side stand is down.

I am referencing the diagram on page 8-13 in the manual. As you likely have noticed, both the GPS and the side stand switch provide parallel ground connections for the SSR. Since your TL only experiences a problem when the transmission is in neutral and the side stand is down, the questionable circuit then is the ground path through the GPS.

Concerning the GPS, know that it is a device that rarely fails in itself. The problems occur when the brass contacts in the GPS, and the associated plunger in the shift drum, become varnished with motor oil. The connections then become intermittent. This is evidenced by the flickering neutral light. Of course, in order to get to that sensor, the right hand engine case needs to be removed along with the clutch pack. However, before you go to that extent, it would be good to remove and inspect the SSR just to eliminate any possible intermittent connections at that point

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
the sidestand relay controls the turn signals also? the turn signals work fine with no problems. concerning the gear position sensor contacts being varnished with motor oil, i do use 15/40 walmart supertech diesel motor oil, cj-4 spec. wondering now if that could be the problem?

Registered
On the TLR, the side stand relay and the turn signal relay are contained within the same module, but they are separate devices. (On the TLS, they are completely separate components.) The TLR module has seven pins on it along with the corresponding terminals in the fuse box. It would simply be good practice to make sure these are in good shape (no oxidation, etc.) before diving into the engine.

As for your motor oil, I doubt the brand or type has anything to do with it. This problem has occurred for years on TLs around the globe. These engines are 20 years old now with thousands of heat Cycles, so it is not too surprising.

Both of my GPS modules exhibit the same symptoms as yours does. However, years ago I installed TREs in both of them, so that takes care of any gear position inconsistencies seen by the ECM. I also bypassed the side stand switches because I don't like its intermittent nature, and that mod provides a permanent ground connection for the SSR.

So then, assuming that this GPS circuit is causing your problem (as yet undetermined), bypassing the side stand switch is an option for you. However, you'll need to be mindful to put your side stand up ALL THE TIME. 馃憤馃槸

As a test, you could bypass the side stand switch to see if your idle problem goes away. 馃 it is easy to do and completely reversible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
i had replaced the sidestand switch recently with what i thought was a good one off ebay to rule that out. ill look on the site for the timing retard eliminator mod. thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts