TLZone Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Really? Or are you joking? If not that doesnt sound too good! Maybe need to put a coat of epoxy resin over it as well then just to be sure;-)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi all, busy day today, got the engine back in the frame, only prob is not sure of some of the loom routing, anyone got any pictures of the tail unit minus fairings and left/right/top of bike minus tank(or diagrams etc), don't have a manual and want to get the cables routed correctly.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Those ugly heavy gauge wires are my coil plus mod wires. I will wrap them into the loom shortly. Just wanted to test it. Hit me up with any questions, since my S is wide open: I can provide pics / answers if you need them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi all, update time, got the fairing panels in primer (cellulose), has a bit of a problem with the seat hump and side panels reacting a but, it was where stickers were so think the glue must have soaked into the plastic if that's possible?? Sorted that by rubbing down again and hitting with Upol etch primer.

Pic of engine in frame

Also managed to rearrange the clock/speedo block connector (thanks Joe) never taken the wires out of a block connector before but once you get the nack its pretty easy, fitted battery and it was a great moment seeing the needle sweep round. Routed most of the cables OK and fitted the plus mod. The TLS sure isn't wired as nice as any GSXR I have worked on but I suppose it is a kind of special bike :laugh Got my new tyres fitted Metz interact front (soft) and a 200/55 Pirelli supercorsa (med) on the rear, going with a 200 as want to add a bit of ride height and turn in, might make the bike a bit unstable but they are not known for that so should be ok :devious .Also fitted new wheel bearings to my freshly painted wheels. There are a few jobs I cant do till I get my tank painted (candy orange) so will will fit up the rearsets/headlight and finalise the cable routing etc........getting there........

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How'd you paint the wheels? Have any pics of that?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I used hot glue, on a vigorous ride... It melted. :laugh

Me too. I fibreglassed my airbox mod, and that's been sweeet for 7 years, but I hot glued a sleeve/insert to make the tube seal into the airbox (that OEM foam door-sealer type system is utter shite, sure-to-leak IMHO). I think it was heat from the t.stat housing that melted the glue near it.

Jamming some fibreglass/foil insulation from a hotwater cylinder wrap between the airbox and the housing seems to work:O

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi all, quick update, got my throttle bodies balanced , TPS set (had to borrow a friends TLR tank as mine was still getting painted and was worried about the amont of time I had left!) At least now I know it fires up and runs :) Had a small issue with the GSXR clocks but it turned out I confused Light green with green when I was rewiring the block connector :banghead It was throwing all sort of strange codes but got that sorted, and the clocks rule, everything works- thanks Joe!!
Anyway got my panels and tank back from my mate today who painted them, we had a bit of issue with the candy but figured it out and they look just awesome in the light, the photos don't do them justice :hail

So..... nearly there, got a bit of an injury at the moment so sore but just a matter of getting the panels on and getting it out soon for a shake down test and MOT

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love that orange! looks really nice, well done

Rich

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Nice job - a real inspiration:thumbup. Man that road salt is nasty stuff innit...I've never seen a bike with so much corrosion. Or one transformed so quickly:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the positive feedback guys :cheers I know it's not to the standard of a lot of bikes on here but its done to a tight budget and timescale. I have really enjoyed the build as they are quite different just can't wait to ride it now (hopefully next week injury permitting) still got to get the damn front sprocket nut off which is killing me but getting a cordless rattle gun from a friend so victory should be mine :laugh

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Well.....got the rattle gun from my mate today and it made short work of the front sprocket nut :devious Tried everything to get it moved and the gun took it off like it was on finger tight

Pretty much got the bike finished just need to fit the new front sprocket and bleed the front brakes, only nagging thought if when I did the 'Mckeown' fuel mod I used the hose suggested but cant help feeling that it probably wasn't designed to be immersed in petrol?:O What you guys think? anyway job done in just over 4 weeks, delighted with the paint :hail,the camera phone pictures really don't do the paint my mate layed down justice- highlights are -
r6 shock conversion, +mod, Fuel filter mod, airbox mod, GSXR k4 forks, GSXR K3 radial calipers, Sams spacers, GSXR footpegs, GSXR carbon heel plates, gsxr radial master cylinder, cut down top fairing (gets shot of that UGLY fairing stay and cleans up the front end IMHO) GSXR clocks modded by the one and only Joe(managed to mount and keep all the infills/standard trim), LED indicators, clear rear light, Renthal grips, New 530 Chain and sprockets (-1 front), HEL Black braided brake lines front and rear, Oberon bar end mirror, Black Billet Gas cap, Infinity carbon tank protector, Euro projector binned and 'normal' headlight wired in,wheels painted gloss black, valve clearances done, fully serviced, supercorsa race tyres (200/55 rear) this may prove unstable but going to try it. Think that's about it, its not perfect bits are dirty/marked and I def rushed some bits would have liked to have painted the engine and another few bits and bob's but ran out of time........what you think? Isle fo man TT2014 here I come :laugh

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Seriously well done,

It reminds me of the rusty color that Corvette used to make. It was by far and away my favorite color. I think I have to hijack it for my next bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wasn't sure of the colour in the bodywork pics but seeing the bike complete it looks bloody great! Really like it, proves what a timeless design the TLS was. Good work.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts