TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum and also new to owning a tlr well today I was hit by a crazy rain storm and my bike felt like it went down to one cylinder and was shutting off but I tried to get it home then there was a loud boom then the bike shut off. After it dried out I can crank it but it idles very high any ideas and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The engine is running on both cylinders now? Apparently. Often when some TLs get into heavy rain, the front spark plug recess accumulates enough water to short the plug and kill the spark momentarily. There is a drain hole in each head to keep the plug recess dry. Make sure the drain is clear.

How "very high" is the idle? What RPM?

The "loud boom" was likely the extra fuel from the cylinder that wasn't firing. It finally ignited in the exhaust header.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply first off and its idling around 4000 to 5000 & it almost sounds as if I can hear air like sucking in somewhere. And it was the forward cylimder that went out but it is firing again where is that drain hole that u mentioned located at exactly whats it look like?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Sounds like the boom was a big back fire that has dislodged the throttle bodies.
Pull the tank and airbox and check that they are seated in the rubber intake manifolds

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
OK. That helps.

Now I'm thinking the loud boom may have been fuel igniting in the intake manifold (it happens sometimes) an it blew one or both throttle bodies off of the rubber boot. Now the throttle cable is too tight and opening the butterfly - causing the high "idle." Check it out. Make sure the TBs are seated in the rubber manifold.

I'll find a pic of the drain hole.....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
OK. That helps.

Now I'm thinking the loud boom may have been fuel igniting in the intake manifold (it happens sometimes) an it blew one or both throttle bodies off of the rubber boot. Now the throttle cable is too tight and opening the butterfly - causing the high "idle." Check it out. Make sure the TBs are seated in the rubber manifold.

:stupid along with Steve too... That's going to get you sorted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for all the help yall have givin me I will be up early in the morning and I will post updates as well

·
Registered
213 Posts
OK. That helps.

It's really not necessary and this really isn't that kind of website :lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the pic six5 the drain looks fine and the throttle cable is not hung up and throttle bodies they are still in place but how do you get the spark plug off that.plug wire doesnt seem to move do you have to remove the valve covers?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha I got the plug boot oout was scared to break it and you guys were right the front throttle body has lifted off of the intake so bout to put everything back together after I get these plugs in but I didnt see any place to put shims in for the valves where are these exactly

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
....but I didnt see any place to put shims in for the valves where are these exactly
The valve shims reside under the "buckets" or "cups" which provide the surface the cam lobes press against.

You will need a service manual. It will help you learn the details about your TL. Download it from http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/26/74/ , and spend some time on Steve's site. A lot of excellent info there. :thumbup

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yall may or may not believe it but my rear cylinder is missing an intake valve shim and I cant see the other one and I have had noise from that cylinder as well as getting beat by 600 cc bikes I just thought this bike sux lol should I be able to run with say a r1 or bikes of that caliber?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I have the service manual thanx six5 but cant find shivh direction im supposed to turn the crankshaft bolt anyone know?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
And I have the service manual thanx six5 but cant find shivh direction im supposed to turn the crankshaft bolt anyone know?
How is it you have removed the cam and shim bucket on the rear head without knowing which way to turn the crank? :confused

Looking at the engine from the left side, the crankshaft turns counter-clockwise under normal operation.

Yall may or may not believe it but my rear cylinder is missing an intake valve shim and I cant see the other one and I have had noise from that cylinder as well as getting beat by 600 cc bikes I just thought this bike sux lol should I be able to run with say a r1 or bikes of that caliber?
Are you sure it is missing? And why can't you "see the other one"?

Don't kid yourself, modern 600s are fast, and don't even think about pacing an R1 (given equal riders :devious).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok well its,still running like crap it will idle at 1200rpm and kinda jump up a lil here and there I have hesitation as soon as I move the throttle and sometimes wen I rev it up it will stay high at like 3000 rpms and the throttles and cables are free and clear

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
You will need to check/reset the throttle body balance and the TPS.
The symptoms you are describing are pointing to this area.

Remember, the force (explosion) that blew the throttle body out of the manifold was applied directly to the throttle plate. Who knows what that does to the balance between the two TBs? It is worth checking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea that is true I was reviewing how to do both of those procedures but its not very detailed do I need a special tool for the tps adjustment or can I use a paper clip like every other vehicle and if so do I plug it in the wires that end in that black little box? & alsowh en I watched that video I saw to balance the tbs the guy hAd some special tools to do that got any pointers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts