TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a 98'+ tls healtech(brand)Gipro w/ATRE by mistake instead of a 97' model the 97 tls connection has two wires a red and blue with a black connection (i think the connector is the black one) when the tre i recieved has a 3 prong connection with the male end (on tre) has a white red and black wire and the female end has a red black and green wire,

i looked at fengler's post's (i searched for awhile his was closest to what i needed)and he didnt seem to finish the mod he sold his tre i believe. so i really would like to know either what the wires are supposed to go to (if the black wires are simply grounds) and also if someone can give me a run down

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
The black wires are indeed grounds.
The 98+ has a ground wire that goes directly to the GPS for an improved ground, whereas the 97 takes it directly from the motor itself instead of a dedicated wire.
Functionally they are the same - you should be able to ignore the blacks on your set-up.
Might be worth callng the vendor to see if you can exchange (to avoid having to hack the connectors) however - although think the 97 might not be readily 'off-the-shelf'

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:hail:inlove:clap:eek:wned i think that was the one post i was looking for lets try and see

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok why is the gear indicator blinking d, d, d, d, d, (infinite)

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Thinking about it some more, it probably needs the black wire going to the GIPro connected to ground - hook that up
(the end going to the GPS doesn't matter though)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im getting a solid/blinking lower case d though and the manual doesnt have anything about d in it?

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
see 5.6 in users guide - it flashes 'd' unless it has been taught number of gears

5.5. Checking whether pre-set (default) or custom (teached) Gear Positions are in use
Disconnect and reconnect the power lead on the battery terminal to restart the unit.
Whenever the unit is powered up, the display indicates either “d” (default) or the number of
gears teached (usually 6) for about 1 second, then the actual gear selected will be shown
Manual also available on-line here - http://www.gi-pro.net/download/GIpro-S0x_UsersGuide_en.pdf

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
DO hook the black up to ground though - the dsiplay/controller would normally get that from the connector plug on the 98+.
But since it's not there on the 97, you'll need to connect the black to the battery -ve.
I suspect - but don't know for sure - that the 97 model version S05 has a ground wire, as well as power and the two 2-pin connector plugs.

http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=898145&postcount=16
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^^ ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^^
I installed one of these, the S05, which also contains the nescesary 3-pin OEM connectors that need to be changed with the 2-pin that comes standard on the '97 TLS....

...On the '97 at least one has to connect a black wire from one of the supplied connectors, to earth. I found that one of the screws that hold the lowest fairing mount, the one where you press a tab through a rubber ring, was a great spot to connect this black wire. Just clamped on what we over here call a "cable-shoe", don't know the english word for them.
Don't follow the advice in the above quote exactly however - the frame is a poor ground (actually the frame is not grounded on these bikes, although the engine is). Best to run a wire directly to the battery -ve.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your the shiZnit
were getting it sorted now but battery was already low so were charging her up as we speak so once that is done it all we have to do is teach it the gear positions, you know... like a furby

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
:dowhat 3yr old thread.............. where's me duster?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts