TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between them? I've read somewhere that the 97 is the "full power" version? I have seen a 98 for sale and am interested but I don't know a whole lot about them. I'd like to have it parked beside my 2000 tlr.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The '97s is the real headbanger of the lot. The Ring-in posted some info about the cylinderheads explaining the difference with later TL's. Basically the '97 had big round port intakes, the later models had a raised/flat bottom of the intake (D-port).

To my knowledge the round port makes for a larger volume between the intake valves and the throttlebody butterfly valve. So when the cylinder starts to suck in mixture it has a bigger buffer to draw from. So with very little throttle opening it's quite responsive with a real aggressive sound. There's a clip on youtube with 2 TLS' on a driveway which gives you an idea about the difference.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
the 97 as delivered was very unruly

it has round ports in the head and suffers from less low and midrange power.

it has the temp sensor in the radiator and a poorly fueling ECU

and 5 spring clutch. and 2 wire gear position sender.

no steering damper was fitted tho a recall saw a separate bracket attached to the top triple. the frame mount was one piece.

the cable actuator on the throttle bodies is circular giving linear movement of the butterflies.

there was an issue with the petrol tank and it was recalled. tho I can see no difference in the two ( i have both to compare)

the 98 has the D shaped heads better ECU temp sensor in the thermostat housing and a 5 spring clutch

3 wire GPS. and a 2 piece steering damper frame mount.

the 2000 model has a 6 spring clutch ( tho its no improvement on a properly functioning 5 spring )

At some stage the cable actuator on the throttle bodies was changed to an elliptical item giving slower actuation at smaller openings and giving smoother control of the partial throttle openings

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
So Stu, I'm wrong? Over the years I rode a few R's and S's, which all needed feeding the throttle from down low to make the most of it. With the '97 being the exception. That bike had some mods which might have influenced the sensation, but a friend of mine said the same thing. It felt just so responsive and exciting..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that stu alot of info there. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll keep u all posted

·
Registered
264 Posts
1997 engines died due to missing an oil breather on the rear cylinder. And due to the wrong position of the temperature sensor in the rad instead of the thermostat housing, the ecu kept the engine running rich. Which caused gas in the oil as well.
All can be solved and will be solved by an owner who put some TLC in his TL.
More to read here: http://micapeak.com/TL1000S/faq/p3.html#Q14

And check the way the steering damper is mounted. If it has a seperate plate on the top triple, it will be a 1997! (as Stu already said) 1998 onwards are directly bolted on the top triple. Or check the position of the temperature sensor. If it is in the rad (left or right bottom) then you got the second hint of looking at a 1997 model.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
the 97 became a 98 in october

10/97 is a 98

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Will the 1998 full oem exhaust system mount right up to the 1997 TL1000S?
Yep the same. The later were fitted with a better output shaft and bearing on the gearbox as well afaik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts