TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well you all can thank Bilbo and Rupes for this thread....also all the other members who kept the other threads going regarding a projector headlamp assembly...i will over the next few months be trying my skills at this same project. no promises i just think i can...I think i can....I think i can...enough of the talking .....here is what i have so far...
1.) purchased used TLS head light assembly from ACtls....thank you very much in the mail as we speak... $55.00...AC paid for shipping...thank you
2.) purchased online from...Frozen CPU 2ea. BLUE cold cathode 80mmcomputer fans @ $10.99 x 2 =$21.98 plus shipping ($7.60) total $29.58...pics to follow
these fans also come with the inverter that allows the CCFL tubes to run off std. 12V (bonus each fan comes with a converter that will power two CCFL tubes so you have a sapre)
here's how the fans come...

CCFL removed from fans

CCFL powered up from direct battery conection...(through inverter)

i will add more as i get things and try to keep it as accurate as i can regarding cost and problems i encounter...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Oh, I get it. COLD cathode..
So these seat rings keep your nuts cool?
And the fans go in the headlight?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If you plug them in backwards do you get heated seats?
Does the high voltage give you a tingle?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
OOOOH! Now I SEE! It's for the PASSENGER SEAT!
Can you add some strain guages so it tells you how much your passenger weighs?
Reminds me of the "viberider"... see viberider.com

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input and laugh...not trying to do anything different just want a set of projector headlamps for my bike. i think it is the evil look that gives it an even more mennacing flavor kind of like the eyes on the caracter in my sig...(Trashman) one of my heros....still looking for another sorce for clear lens,,had one last year when i first thought this project was going to happen then the other threads kinda died so i sold it to another member:banghead:banghead:banghead... now i need to find it again...mod should keep me busy for the winter though...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
those are the same fans I got :thumbup

mine were supposed to be red...but turned out orange...so I got some red stained-glass paint and put on a couple coats...they looks good now :devious also...take the cathode out of that plastic holder...it just snaps together

the projectors I got are from http://www.oppracing.com/products.php?action=show_product&id=742 the cathodes fit these projectors perfectly. I originally used hot glue to hold the cathodes on, but between the light and cathode itself, it got hot enough to melt the glue and one of my rings fell off :banghead I now have them held on with copper wire strands...2 or 3 on points around the light to hold the cathode on (wont melt :lol)

the only real hard part was making the headlight brackets out of sheet metal. I made mine so I could use the stock clips and still have full headlight adjustability :thumbup

you can see the clips in the brackets here

I then proceeded tog et some flat black spraypaint and paint the inside of the housing (to keep the cathode light from reflecting all around) and also painted the brackets with it...about 10 coats or so on each side (rust-preventative measures :lol)

careful when cutting the silver reflector buckets inside the headlight...it gets MESSY

Use some 5-min plastic epoxy on the clear lens...I also drilled 4 small holes in the housing...one on top and bottom of the lens in the middle, and one on each side. In these holes you can put small screws with little tabs to hold down the lens while it cures (mine wasn't contoured perfectly to the housing)

I hooked my inverter to the running light connection thats in the front harness thats only used on the euro bikes. I put the inverter itself into the space in the headlight bracket (fits snugly and helps keep water etc out of the inverter). I'm also going to put it on a switch (in case the cops have an issue with red rings on the front of the bike). I'm also going to put a switch to shut the low beam off (one projector is high beam, other is low beam) so I'll just have the two red rings on :devious I'm also toying with the idea of wiring the low so it's always on, and putting an HID in it, and keeping the high std. we'll see what happens this winter...

well that about sums up my project...if you need any more pics/info let me know

·
Registered
782 Posts
not laughing at you man but at the weird comments, i am very interested to see how this turns out. it looks freakin awesome so far.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry Interpol...that comment was ment for cycleclamper...so far the only difference is my assembly will be for an"S" model and if i'm real lucky have Hi & Lo beam in both projectors...
thanks Bilbo for all the info....i will start the next phase when headlight assembly gets here...cant wait:banghead...have spent hours on web looking at projetor sights and plastic suppliers and also custom bike suppliers still no luck on lens or clear cover might try my hand at a little heat forming...also found a site that has Hi/Lo projector assemblies problem is they sell in quantity of 200 pc...trying to get them to work with me on proto type sent them email earlier tonight...will have to wait for the reply.as far as the lens is concerned i don't think it will be real hard but i guess i'm going to find out...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I think you need to get two half-rings, assembled into a circle and hinged at the sides; a little calbe or servo motor...that way they could blink. Or just do one, so your bike can wink at the other blingy bikes as you pass...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
trick is, dont use 5 min epoxy, they will fall off. use wire, typically the one you use for hookpooks (picture frame hang ups) try to find a thin one, trill 3 sets of 2 holes in a triangle formation. try to make them very close and tiny, and then put the wire through. THEN put some silicone or something to cover those tiny holes b/c water/humidity will get into it and it wont look nice or mess the bulb up??

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
trick is, dont use 5 min epoxy, they will fall off. use wire, typically the one you use for hookpooks (picture frame hang ups) try to find a thin one, trill 3 sets of 2 holes in a triangle formation. try to make them very close and tiny, and then put the wire through. THEN put some silicone or something to cover those tiny holes b/c water/humidity will get into it and it wont look nice or mess the bulb up??
I used the epoxy to hold the clear lens on...not the cathodes :lol :bitchslap

I originally used hot glue...but it melted and they fell off...I'm using small strands of copper wrie now...strong enough to hold, and thin enough to hardly be noticed

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks great...thinking of following your lead for the winter project on my TLS...
Great writeup as well...makes it a little easier for the next guy to try...

:hail :thumbup :thumbup

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
trick is, dont use 5 min epoxy, they will fall off. use wire
Try GOOP brand clear glue, sticks really well to glass and a million times stronger than ordinary silicon sealant. The only problem with GOOP is that it crreeps very slowly while it dries, and if you put it on thick it takes a long time to dry. So by the time it's dry, it has flowed away from where you wanted it. But it's great glue and sealant for difficult materials. I used GOOP to close up the taillight lens on my K1200LT when I converted it to LED.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Aren't there laws related to having red (as used in tail lights) on the front of a motor vehicle? LEO might not like the red. :O Might be why blue and other colors are more common.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Correct, at least here in California...no forward facing red or blue lights.

Aren't there laws related to having red (as used in tail lights) on the front of a motor vehicle? LEO might not like the red. :O Might be why blue and other colors are more common.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
For the lense, couldn't you get a clear cover (Pyramid or Powerbronze) and then mount that to the housing?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

here too...I was worried about my frame sliders as they light up red and blink with the turn signals...but I've had cops tell me they like them :O

for the month or so I had my headlights on, I rode past many cops and never once had any issues with the red rings :O

For the lense, couldn't you get a clear cover (Pyramid or Powerbronze) and then mount that to the housing?
thats what I did...I got mine from www.1tail.com but last I knew they were unavailable from their site now :O

1 - 20 of 123 Posts