TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused While riding this afternoon (Upstate South Carolina) I heard some interesting noises coming from the TLs. Which they have been there all along, this just caught my attention more today.

While at idle (1200 RPM), coolant temp 78 Celsius, outdoor temp 80 Degrees F, Sounds like the TLs is chirping and clicking/ticking.

Then 3000 to 4000 RPM, in 2nd gear the ticking seems to be more pronounced.

The bike seems to be running fine.

97 TLs everything is stock with about 13,000 Miles on the clock. Just installed a new RK530 XSO chain.

I've listened to some of the videos from Burns Video Barn and couldn't hear any of the ticking noises from the race bikes. I know it would be hard to notice those sounds at speed over the exhaust note!

Also researched some previous post about the ticking and from what I gathered the valve train on these engines are normally noisy.

Is it time for a valve adjustment?

Is the ticking sounds normal?

Does anyone have any sound bytes of the engine at diffrent RPM's?

I'm still new to the TLs way of riding the twisties. I've been an inline-4 rider most of my riding life but now I'm hooked on the twins.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've heard of similar noises being an exhaust leak, the collar gasket at the rear header bend, near the swingarm, is apparently prone to blowing out. may not be, but it is free to check:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
ride the torque curve not the power curve

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
the TL top-ends are usually a little more "musical" than most bikes. I've heard the exhaust leak theory and it usually bares out to be true when you're running the stock system. Mine now ticks a little more since I've gone back to stock.

Remember TL means "Ticks Loudly"::)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Ticking and whirring is normal for a TL, have fun:thumbup
The valves get tighter as the wear so it wouldn't normally be them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked the rear exhaust gasket, it doesn't appear to be leaking. Cant feel any air coming out at the flange even when revving it up. I guess it's OK.

As far as the TWEEETY BIRD under the tank, The TLs is a "BAD TWEETY".

Side note: While at our normal congregation point known as "de sto" a Clemson Student asked if the old TLs was a modified Ducati, my response was it's a "Work in Progress". Then he said, thats a sharp looking DUC. My riding Buds heard it and about fell out laughing. Clemson Student turned around and asked what was funny we all just clammed up and asked him to ride safe.

Thanks for the help fella's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts