TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody first off wanna say that I'm new to the site an new to the tl series bike.
Anyways I just got a 97 tl1000 an have done a little research already an tore into it a little bit.
I pulled the plugs there brand new the coils look to be new also but no spark so I pull the wires off the coils I'm gets 11 volts to the positive side with the key on an when cranking. So I check the negative side an yes I know the negative side is what comes on an off to give you the spark so I hit the button cranks but no negative(I contacted my meter to the battery so I knew I was getting positive). I have little experience with bikes but know pretty much about cars I'm thinking ecu is bad not sending out the signal to spark. I figured I'd get some ppls opinion that know more about bikes.Am I correct? If not could u point me in the direction to get the problem fixed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Meter might not show the coil power because it's short and not constant. Might try an LED instead. Better yet, connect coil and a spark plug, ground the plug...even then the spark is hard to see in daylight, the spark in free air looks pretty feeble when it's really fine.

Normal routine maintenance is to trim 1/4" off each end of the spark plug high-voltage wires, and replace then every 10 years. The SV1000 spark plug cap is a little better, so are teh SV1000 coils.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also tried the test light I for got to put that in there but when the meter wasn't showing anything I went to that just in case the meter wasn't picking up. Also that was the first thing I did I pulled the plugs an grounded them to the frame an nothing no spark.

So after I did all that an found that there was no ground I checked the coils. I turned the key on so the hot wire would put juice to the coil an ran my own ground. Once I did that I got spark so I know it's something to do with not having ground to the coil. I just don't wanna fork out the money for a new ecu if that's not it. So I figured I'd get some opinions of what else to check b4 I start just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
....I turned the key on so the hot wire would put juice to the coil an ran my own ground. Once I did that I got spark so I know it's something to do with not having ground to the coil......
Have you checked for error codes in dealer mode yet?

There are sensors that must be seen by the ECM before it will issue an ignition command. The Tip Over Sensor (TOS) and the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKPS) come to mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do u check for codes? like I said I'm pretty new to this bike an other bikes I had was all older bikes. I've been riding my Yamaha xs11 b4 I got this bike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a little search with Google figured it out. got c23 for tip sensor thanks a lot man. So where's that located at? I'm gonna take a guess an say under the seat where there's a plug missing somewhere to plug in an a bracket with nothing in it. I got this bike as someone else's project for cheap an figured I'd go threw it make t right an ride it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys gonna order on when I get paid then start going threw the rest of the bike new clutch new brakes new fluids an check over everything thee pervious owner did I will let u guys know ASAP when I get it fired up

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks a lot guys gonna order on when I get paid then start going threw the rest of the bike new clutch new brakes new fluids an check over everything thee pervious owner did I will let u guys know ASAP when I get it fired up
Shaggy,

1. Fill out your profile location info.
2. Someone around here has a TOS. Or look to your second friend eBay. They are very mechanical and a secondhand one will work with 99.99% reliability.
3. If you have a 6k8 resistor, you can simulate a TOS. To at least see if she will run!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm out if Cincinnati if anyone has one laying around let me know. That was my plan eBay found them last night gonna order one here later on. How do u simulate it with that resistor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was a stupid question I ran to radio shack an got a 680 ohm .5 watt 5% tolerance resistor it was the closest this radio shack had

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That was a stupid question I ran to radio shack an got a 680 ohm .5 watt 5% tolerance resistor it was the closest this radio shack had
Doubt it will work. I think you need between 6400 and 6800 ohms...

It would work in series... Was it a 10 pack? :lol

I have tons (since I bought them to be TRE's :devious ).

I will send you one for free, but you might as well just get a TOS. To retain the safety aspect it brings...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No it's a 5 pack I'll just order the switch I just wanted to c if that would work ill just have to wait to hear it run but thanks for ur help

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No it's a 5 pack I'll just order the switch I just wanted to c if that would work ill just have to wait to hear it run but thanks for ur help
:cheers

Ask any questions you may have, but these engines are robust and I bet with that in place, you will be on your way!

:wheelie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only thing that really worries me is I got this as a project someone else started an they did a little tampering with the wire harness looks but that's my next step after the sensor is new harness. You wouldn't happen to know the part number of the switch was gonna have a local shop order it but the parts guy had no ideal what i was talking about

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
This site has a great parts diagram:

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/content/pages/shop/parts/Suzuki/TL/TL1000S/V-K1 1997-2001/tl1000selectrical.htm :)cheers Snowy for the sweet reference!)

part 23...

33960-02F00

Grab it off eBay if you can't find someone around here with one: ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/suzuki-tl-1000-s-tl1000s-1000s-98-03-tip-over-sensor-switch-/221576638447?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3396ff2fef&vxp=mtr )

Look around, but for reference, it is one of the very few parts that interchange between the R and S...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah thats what my plan was to get it off ebay was gonna c how much it was new tho probably gonna just gonna get it off ebay tho along with a new harness

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the sensor in today plugged it up left the tank off tho (easier to get to coils and plug is the reason I took it off). Anyways turned the bike over a few times b4 I noticed the started relay making some funny noise (new relay ordered an on its way) an still no spark. Put in dealer mode to c if anything else was wrong came up with c00 witch is no fault. Anything else I should check when my relay comes in?
Might end up taking to local shop an have them check it out for me.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
..... Anyways turned the bike over a few times b4 I noticed the started relay making some funny noise (new relay ordered an on its way) an still no spark. ....
What does "funny noise" mean?

Here is a multiple choice question for you. Did the starter relay (A) work, or (B) not work, or (C) chatter, or (D) smoke?

If the battery is struggling to turn the engine over, chances are good that the spark will be very weak, or none at all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts