TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of swapping out the stock 6th gearset for a taller ratio? Stock is 1:1, 24 drive / 24 driven. If there was a gearset that would fit from another Suzuki that was maybe 25 drive / 23 driven then changing sprocket size to make 1st easier to deal with wouldn't leave the engine spinning so high in 6th when cruising.
Does the TLS share transmission parts with GSXRs or Katanas, Busa etc.? Of course this would mean splitting the cases (I think) but to have the best of both worlds it may be worth it. I've done this in another Suzuki (Intruder) and it worked like buttah.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know of anyone that's gone to a taller gear - some folks have installed the race kit gear box (closer raitos). I belive the DL1k would be your best bet for a taller 6th that just might work. I don't know that it would work, but its going to be a lot more likely than anything else.

It might be worth questioning why you want a taller 6th gear. Its not likely to get you any better fuel mileage or top speed (unless your running really low sprocket gearing).

good luck

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definately not about higher top speed or better fuel economy but that is a plus. When you gear down the sprockets to make first where it should be then on the interstate at 80 the motor is revvin' alot higher. I know the engine is designed to rev high all day long it is just aggrevating to me to cruise like that. Allotta folks don't care. Is the transmission in a TLS a cassette style that can be removed without splitting the cases?
Thanks fer the V-Strom recommendation, I had overlooked it as a donor and it most certainly will have the same trans shafts, forks, gear size etc., maybe even a few sets will be the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts