TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 TLS, had a partially fouled plug from a startup glitch, which happens now and again. So I decide to take the highway home from work and open it up a little.

Long story short, I hit 6th gear a little low and just let the RPM creep up. As we all know, the big surge happens around 7K. I braced for it, but it never came. The engine hit the rev limiter for a fraction before I cut the throttle, and the clutch grabbed again. Guess I'm pulling the clutch down tonight. =(

Any recommendations on new friction plates and springs? I know this is a weak link on the machine.

P.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Check worm drive and cable adjustment first. Then once that's sorted, if its still slipping pull the clutch cover and mic the plates - chances are the plates are fine and the springs are tired. EBC or Barnett springs are a bit stiffer and are recomended.

have fun

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Like Bike Pilot says, check the worm drive adjustment first and make sure it's turning far enough the wrong way to give enough slack on the pushrod.

Then continue to do the following until it stops :-

Fit a set of Barnett Springs

Fit a set of genuine friction plates

Fit the later TLS or TLR 6 Spring Clutch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kickass. Even working on the machine is a joy.

What was not cool was bracing for acceleration and feeling *nothing*. At 120 mph this is a bit unsettling as I simply thought the engine died. Looked at tach and let off, quick blip, everything back to normal. Clutch felt kinda "grabby" for the rest of the trip, but by the time I got home it was fine again. :O

The clear clutch cover inside needs to have the munge cleaned off anyways.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup

Glad to have another harescramble racer on a TL:banana

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
wouldn't have golden spectro blend in there would ya?

You can order the HiPerf clutch pack from bikebandit, seems to work fine and I've never worried about changing to the 6 spring, stock one lasted over 40k miles on mine which is fine.

how many miles?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Stock '97 tls 5-spring clutch is terrible IMHO. If you install the late-model 6-spring and make sure you get the one with more plates you'll be much happier in the long run.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Probably true, but I've got 45k happy miles on my origional 5-spring clutch (I did install EBC springs at 7k miles). No slippage, decent feel, only thing I don't like is the heavy clutch pull. Most of my riding is commuting in heavy traffic, so lots of clutch slipping creaping along (no lane splitting here:banghead).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm using barnett plates and springs on my 5 spring clutch without any slippage .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts