TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I responded to an ad asking to swap some 6 pot TLR calipers for some 4 pot TLS calipers. I jumped at it, and grabbed them with the understanding I would give him my 4's once I'd fitted the 6's, but have not fitted them yet, and have to make up my mind in the next coupla days...

The problem is, my 4 pots, with braided lines, can stand my bike on its nose, have reasonable feel, and have a new set of sintered pads. They are also in good nick, the bike has never been dropped so they've taken no smacks, and they release really well - if you lift and spin the front wheel it carry's on for a full rotation. There is also unsprung weight to consider.

Now for the 6's....they look so much :yumyum than the 4's, but do they work that much better with more feel?? They are heavier, they have a small rash on the left - they may have been on a bike that biffed it's rider:O, and I have heard that some people have a shit of a time bleeding them.

So...if you were me what would you do:confused They do look :drool, especially with a bit of gold paint to match my EBC rotors....???

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
better the devil you know :O throw that old shit in the bin and go radial anyway then you'll know what good brakes are :devious

R

·
0 Posts
I found the biggest difference with the 6 potters was brake fade during a hard ride was greatly reduced, especially noticeable coming downhill through the mountain twisties.

The 6's have a little less feel than the 4's imo, but I found once I put the Goodridge pads in that issues was solved, lot more initial bite from those pads.

R

·
0 Posts
Oh, I wouldnt say bleeding was any more difficult per se. I had a bitch of a time bleeding both.

Radials are a very slight improvement though, but not any radial, the 4 pad design off the 03-04 GSXR 1K and maybe some other things. Twice as many leading edges as what they went to, the 2 pad design. Probably a cost thing I guess.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the biggest difference with the 6 potters was brake fade during a hard ride was greatly reduced, especially noticeable coming downhill through the mountain twisties.

The 6's have a little less feel than the 4's imo, but I found once I put the Goodridge pads in that issues was solved, lot more initial bite from those pads.
I have goodridge lines, and the 4's have great feel, with a strong bite. I push pretty hard, especially downhill on the brakes, and have had no real issue with brake fade - they do get a bit 'dull', but nothing major. Actually the more I write, the more I'm convincing myself to stick with the 4's:)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
stick em on and ride it for the weekend jimmy . if you don't like em they only cost $10 in brake fluid to find out.

if you do pull them off and do this to em.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
You will probably find better response from the six pots if you change the m/c too.
I recently had to put my old 4 pots on a zx6r and after bleeding, found his brakes were super'b. His bike had the larger m/c on now pushing the same amount to fluid into 4 pots rather than 6 pots. If you change to the 6 pots and leave the TLS m/c on you'll have a spongy feel at the lever. (I know this because it what I have at the moment) my next job is the m/c.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Right, now I am :confused.............

I've tried both set-ups & currently have the 6-pots + larger m/c fitted but I'm NEVER satisfied with the feel from either set?

The 4-pots were stripped and refurbed but I still wasn't that pleased with them so I sold them & now have only the 6-pots.

Pads are good, I'm anal about bleeding the bloody things but fook me can I get them how I like them :O can I fcuk :banghead

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Its a combination of good things. Good discs, good pads, good pistons in the callipers, good seals, good brake lines, good m/c internals, good fluid, good bleeding process.

If any one of these is not good you get odd brakes.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Discs are within tolerances, oil is good, braided lines............. so next step is refurb the m/c and calipers? Is that a job I could do in my garage :O

Sorry to hijack Jimmy :blush

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discs are within tolerances, oil is good, braided lines............. so next step is refurb the m/c and calipers? Is that a job I could do in my garage :O

Sorry to hijack Jimmy :blush

Get yourself a good set of the 4 pot Nissins fitted to GSXR11K/L/M's or RGV250's ...... one of the best calipers you'll find :yes

I've got the 6 pots on mine with the S m/cyl and Hel lines and they work fine, but the minute they start to give problems the Nissin's are they way I'll be heading. Used them on several bikes in the past and always had strong single finger stopping power with faultless reliability :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I found the greatest bang ofr buck was braided lines.

But a 5/8" MC & 6 potters improved my brakes that little extra. I like setting the lever close to the bar and brake with 2 fingers. With the 4 potters, I'd often pull the lever into my remaining fingers on the grip and run out of brakes. With the 6 potters I was able to get the braking I needed with a close lever and not pull it back into my fingers (although the TLR lever that cam with the MC had more adjustment settings than the TLS one).

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Get yourself a good set of the 4 pot Nissins fitted to GSXR11K/L/M's or RGV250's ...... one of the best calipers you'll find :yes

I've got the 6 pots on mine with the S m/cyl and Hel lines and they work fine, but the minute they start to give problems the Nissin's are they way I'll be heading. Used them on several bikes in the past and always had strong single finger stopping power with faultless reliability :)
Last weekend, I put a pair of '97 Bandit 4 pot Nissin calipers I found on ebay. I took them apart and the seals and pistons were in excellent condition. After re-painting them, greasing the pistons and seals, I put them back in. I had to use the banjo bolts that came with them as the Goodridge banjos I had from my 6-pots are a different thread pitch. I also noticed that the oil passage hole in the original banjo bolt was significantly smaller than it was on the Goodridge banjo, so I drilled it out to the same diameter. Now, I have anchors for brakes! I like the feel and the power of the Nissins much better that the 6-pot Tokicos. The Nissins were easier, though not much, to bleed too. FWIW

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Hands up who reckons I can persuade JJ to let me look on e-gay for some calipers :dowhat

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
its a fookn british invasion :fooku where's a viking when ya need one :laugh

·
Registered
161 Posts
You should check out this months performance bike magazine, They replaced the six pots on there gsxr1000 k1 with sv1000 four pot calipers and found the sv calipers were much better something to do with the six pots pads warping? then they fitted a radial master cylinder which made things worse the best results were sv 4 pots and standard master cylinder

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
SV 4-pots don't fit on our bikes do they? I thought Suzuki changed the hole mounts again when the SV came out.:O

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
When I changed from the 4-pots to 6-pots and larger master on my old '97 TLS the improvement was significant, but I don't know how much was due to the very aggressive pads I installed at the same time.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
sv1k and early gsxr , tls 4 pots are the same. Actually i am surprised they brought the tls out with a 1/2" master even the little 650 now has a 5/8 for its 2 pots which i swapped over for the sv1k units!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts