TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
N2wheelies explained some of how to get a 5-spring to work decently, yet I can't possibly understand why anyone would spend money on bling before installing the better 6-spring clutch, then the bling.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought my bike a couple of seasons ago- clutch started acting up around 23000mi. I was unaware of the upgrade- so I replaced the whole assy. with stock 5 bolt parts. Now it works great. So if I can get another 23K with no problems- then I'll drop the $$ on an upgraded 6 bolt clutch. But in the meantime a billet pressure plate seems mighty tasty... And it could always be sold when I need to buy a new 6 bolt plate.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
N2wheelies explained some of how to get a 5-spring to work decently, yet I can't possibly understand why anyone would spend money on bling before installing the better 6-spring clutch, then the bling.
If it ain't broke, what's to fix? I have never had problems with my clutch other than the cable braking. I have 34,000 miles on the old girl.

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 on what Aredubu says. No probs. so far except a broken clutch cable (scary shit). But, still, I wonder if the feeling from a 6-spring clutch is different.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts

what exactly N2wheelies did to improve the clutch.... Mine has 56000km and I think the 2set of friction plates are going down.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
barnett springs (and plates if you make sure you have the correct clutch plate stackup..)

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
:thumbup Thanks N2Wheelies.... The barnett springs are already on the way to Spain.. I'll inspect the plates and fricctions when took the clucth apart

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Once N2whellies brought this thread from the dead :) I have to inform you that we almost have those 10 people we need to make Vandriver start..... (almost I said :) )

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just think of it....the value of your bike will skyrocket!

One of ten TL1000SVan in existence. Only 10 ever made!

I'd say it'll double the value of your bike as well as making it go faster.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
when I bought mine the clutch was slipping in all the top gears, I just put 4mm shims on the 5 stock springs and it has not given any more trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
when I bought mine the clutch was slipping in all the top gears, I just put 4mm shims on the 5 stock springs and it has not given any more trouble.
Ok, but isn't that just a band-aid fix? The fact that you had to use shims says that the springs are worn from compression. Time for some new springs, and maybe new friction plates too!

·
Registered
35 Posts
as I do my own work, and the shimms were free. Another 10-20 k before I have to shell out some jack for new parts will suit me just fine. I put a barrett clutch kit in my zx9r and the clutch still slips at the track when you really hammer on it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ok, but isn't that just a band-aid fix? The fact that you had to use shims says that the springs are worn from compression. Time for some new springs, and maybe new friction plates too!
Not neccesarily Aredubu ,Sometimes the clutch can hang up on the worm drive clutch mechanism . It's gets dirty and starts to stick causing slippage .It's happened to mine a couple of times and after cleaning it and readjusting the clutch it's all good again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts