TLZone Forums banner

3rd gear options

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  The Simpleton 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I know this has been done to death, but I cant find any recent threads or advice.
3rd gear has started misbehaving under load.
Did anyone ever get 3rd blueprinted and manufactured?
This bike is a keeper so I'm keen to find a solution.
Any help is very welcome,
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi all,
I know this has been done to death, but I cant find any recent threads or advice.
3rd gear has started misbehaving under load.
Did anyone ever get 3rd blueprinted and manufactured?
This bike is a keeper so I'm keen to find a solution.
Any help is very welcome,
Thanks in advance.
I have a spare engine which is perfect except for the 3rd gear which has gone too. I need to think about getting something done with it at some point. You could try messaging Sam on here as he was stockpiling engines a few years ago. He might be able to help.

#3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
All of my bikes go on track and Im not 100% that this wouldnt happen again, even with new parts from Suzuki - which are unavailable.
So, after fitting Maxton suspenders front and back, the ungrateful sod will be getting a Nova close ratio box. I'm having to sell a cbr 600fx to fund this.
I really have fallen for the tlr and plan on keeping it till I can ride no more.
Hope to be thumping about again by July.😀

#5 ·
Hooray,
My Tl is alive again. Its taken a while, and I cant take any credit for the engine work. The Nova close ratio box is superb. Expensive, but worth it. On my 2nd ride out, the reg/rec failed. Its been replaced with an electrex unit. On track Monday for a proper shakedown. Maybe I can just ride it for a wee while now without having to spend any more pennies on it 🤑🤑

#6 ·
Nice one, glad you got this sorted.

#8 ·
Its not quite sorted yet. My mistake. I thought I'd asked my mechanic to replace the water pump seal, as I've read that they will fail. I didn't. Mine has. Bugger. Not a big job, but frustrating all the same.
Anyway, the gearbox. Nova supply all new pinions and you use the original shafts with all new genuine bushes, washers etc from Suzuki. I don't think there would be much difference in price if you got all new pinions from Suzuki, which is impossible anyway as some are no longer available.
The gearsets from Nova are used in BSB and IOM races, and their rules do not allow for any weight saving, but they are a lot stronger and are made to a much higher standard.
It's still early days, so I may need to think about sprocket sizes when I finally get to ride properly, but the 'box is now slick and tight. Lovely. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.