TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help!
I have a 2001 TLS that has just started to jump in 3rd gear.
On harder acceleration in 3rd it feels like the chain jumps for half a second - the revs go up and the power at the back wheel is lost. When it kicks back in it can go sky ward. Its only done it 4 or 5 times. Is this the start of 3rd gear going in the box? I would have thought it would strip all the dog teeth. If it is 3rd gear how much of an engine strip is involved? I'm able to do it but I go to the Alps with this bike every year and the ferry is booked for May... (dont want to be bogged down with head gaskets and barrels etc..) Will this get any worse? and if it goes completely could I drive it easily with out using 3rd? I realise this could leave bits in the bottom of the box.... Someone said it might just be the clutch slipping - but it feels a bit more severe when it does it?? (Its a bloody nice bike and I bought it new) Any help on this matter would be apprciated. Even a diagram of the caseings being split would be a gr8 help. Thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
check out all of my recent threads in the motor tear down section,,, its exactly what happened to my box,, 3rd gear on mine too,,,, if you leave the bits in there and keep riding you will ruin oil pump and then loose pressure and then,,,, bye bye engine.

you might be lucky and it not be the gearbox, but that is what my bike did to me on a ride out, and it was the dogs on the cogs worn out....

unfortunatly it is enginge out and cases split to get to the gearbox,,,, long job, ish... if you can do it yourself not so expensive,, depends what you find when you split the engine....

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
start looking for replacement motor...it's only a matter of time now or stop riding and fix it need to split the cases tho...good luck...

·
Registered
621 Posts
replacement motors are fine,, but you never know what you are getting and it could be as bad as yours or not far off that,,,, then you have spent all that money for nothing,,,, to split and replace box and put back together with all needed bits cost me about £650,,,, another engine could be that , with a shot gearbox in it

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
hoping against hope, I'd whip off the gerchage cover to see if anyting amiss there (pawl/spring) as easy. but have to reisgn yourself to spltiting the cases. Can be done without removing the generator or heads to speed things up. Can reuse most of the gaskets apart from barrels.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Are you sure it's jumping in and out of gear.

When dogs are worn and a gear is bouncing in and out of engagement, it's a constant rat-a-tat-tat. Not a 1/2 second loss of power to the wheel while the RPMS climb and then it bites and all is good.

Sounds a lot like clutch slippage and camset wear for the back torque limiter to me. A set of Barnett springs will cover the problem up.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
If this problem is just in third then its likely the box. the idea here is to baby the thing till you really have time to fix it. its possible the selector fork is under extra strain whilst the bike is in third so stay away from using it unnecessarily and keep offf the gas.
I believe it won't actually fail with careful use . but it will need a rebuild as soon a practically possible.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i had the same thing, not as jumpy...but if i hammered past a car per say... in 3rd it would almost studder in the middle of hammering. like 1/2 second jump... then take off again...

changed with barnett springs an i haven't noticed it again... fingers crossed...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had this happen..turned out the engagement dogs were worn. If I babied it, no problems, but if I got on the throttle to accelerate out of a corner, I'd feel it jumping in and out of gear. I was leaned over in a turn and got on the throttle in third once..the jumping out of gear upset the chassis and almost caused me to crash. Get it fixed ASAP. Source an engine, or replace the defective parts, but don't keep riding it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm with Steve, doesn't sound like a gearbox problem by your description, rather sounds like a clutch issue. A clutch will be fairly smooth, a gearbox will be more jerky and make scary noises/clunks. If unsure drain the oil and look for bits of gear box, if none found, fit barnett or EBC clutch springs, and re-fill with oil and go ride to see if the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is messing my head up. I can agree with everything that is said on this thread except some of it seams to contradict or point to a different problem. I have what apears to be the same issue as described by TL51000. It may have first shown itself 10,000Km ago while hard on the throttle climbing a hill and I thought there was something I didn't understand about the grip in the road because I got these little gerks in delivery. Cluth slipper then maybe, but some time later on the mountain section in the IOM and I realise it's only happening in 3rd gear.

I've opened up the gearbox recently to find one of the selector yolks is well worn and the channel it runs in on the 3rd/4th gear is just as bad off. I have also found one of the other selecters is damaged but it measures as within tolerance so it currently looks like it got damaged by stray metal getting into it.

My only problem is I can't understand how a worn selector and channel that add up to 8mm play are allowing a whole approx 15mm gear to disengage without any damage. There isn't any damage to a single tooth on any gear in the box. I'm happy to replace the out of service tolerance parts but I would like to be certain it's the problem fixed before I close it up again.

Is there anyone who could explain it to someone who isn't a mechanic? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
3rd gear went on one of my engines. As described about it would jump every now and then. It slowly got worse and worse until it actually wouldn't stay in gear any more. I had my old engine rebuilt and swapped them over, I still need to sort 3rd gear out on the other engine one day but in no rush.
As I understand it it isn't the teeth on the gears that end up slipping, its the locating dogs that slide in and out of the gears to engage a particular gear that are the problem. Once worn they won't stay in gear. 3rd gear is the most common one to go.
Apparently new 3rd gear parts are not available from Suzuki anymore so you may need to try to find good secondhand ones somewhere. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I understand it it isn't the teeth on the gears that end up slipping, its the locating dogs that slide in and out of the gears to engage a particular gear that are the problem. Once worn they won't stay in gear. 3rd gear is the most common one to go.
Apparently new 3rd gear parts are not available from Suzuki anymore so you may need to try to find good secondhand ones somewhere. Good luck with that.
Of course. That makes perfect sense. Thank you for that, it gives me back hope that things will be all right when shes back together. (y)

Your right about the third gear also, I was quite some time finding a supplier who listed any in stock genuine Suzuki or not. All the other gears, but not 3rd/4th drive. It was what made me certain it was my problem before I opened her up.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts