TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 1998 TLS.

The one I've seen seems nice but the guy reckons it jerks in 2nd gear above 4000 rpm but in other gears it is fine. He reckons it feels like clutch that is slipping and biting.

Any ideas what that could be or should I pass on it?

On the FB group Suzuki TL1000 R/S Fanatics someone said it night the 2nd gear dogs that are worn and someone said it could be the clutch center slipping and to weld it.

Could there be any other causes or would these two be the most likely possible issues?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, i would say cut the HT lead coils a bit shorter,maeby that could help. These bikes are more than 20years old. Seen their fair share of use. I have a 97TL. Had a few issues with it in the beginning but has sorted them. Awesome work horse in my opinion

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with the damaged transmission assessment. Since it is only happening in second gear when the transmission is loaded, the gear dogs are likely rounded and slipping. Not unheard of - especially if it was wheelied often in the past.

If it were spark plug wires or other electrical issues, the problem would occur in other gears also.

Is the seller the original owner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I thought too to be honest.

No I don't think the seller is the original owner.

The gearbox doesn't scare me all that much even though it means a fair bit of work to repair. I can do that myself.

What does scare me is the more I look at the pics of the bike the more little issues I see. From the pics I picked up it also needs a new right foot peg assemble together with the brake pedal. The peg itself is fastened to the frame at the moment and there's no brake lever although the brake master is still there. It does need a new front seat but the seller's story on why it got lost just doesn't add up for me. The whole bike or at least the wheels need paint (can also do it myself) because the bike is black (including the screen) but the wheel spokes are purple.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It sounds like quite the project. If you are up for that, and the purchase price is right for your budget, go for it. Between the forums and Facebook, there are plenty of people with good advice to help you get through any obstacles.
Otherwise, with the way the market is, you can probably hold out for a better example that would require less work. 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think I will this time hold out for something with less work. Once I buy it must nearly immediately be usable for commuting. I am borrowing the one son's Firestorm that I passed on to him about 2 years ago. That was my second Firestorm but really want to experience the TL now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts