TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. So I bought an 02 tl1000r in like say july. I don't know if its just me but second gear sounds a little noisy to me, well its noisier than the other 5. It sounds like something to do with the chain. I had one of my buddies ride it and he didn't hear anything, but its noticable to me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
It's a Tiller .............get a :tillis

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Seriously tho', not heard of that before.........get a few peepz to ride it & see what they have to say too :O

By the way, :bigfinger To the Zone!!

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Yes, what kind of noise? Like a fork end rubbing against the side of the groove on a gear that the fork rides in to slide the gear on the splined shaft? Pretty common to bend a fork, and the stlight undercut of the dogs then makes pressure between one side of the gear-groove and one side of the fork. Hmm, where is that gear on the set, is it nearer one of the bearings? When a bearing is starting to fail you hear it whine more when using the gearset nearest that bearing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a whining noise, it sounds like chain noise. Almost like something isn't linned up correctly. When i get on the throttle i hear the noise, likewise after just using the engine to do the breaking. If i hold it constant the noise will go away.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I don't know why it would only be in second, but indeed your description sounds like its just that the chain is shot. After a while the pins and plates wear until the distance between each link is greater than it should be, and at that point the wear accelerates as all the force is transmitted by just one link on one tooth. If it sounds to you like chain, get a new chain and sprocket set and then check the wheel alignment and see whether the chain rides centered on both sprockets.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be right about the chain. When i bought the bike it had like 10 thou on it. The guy said that he had new sprockets and a chain put on at like 9 thou. Maybe he didn't. I will try that. If its the chain, why does it only do it in 2nd gear, and not all the gears? Thanks for all your advise.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Could be the Torque reaction vs. exhaust note only allowing you to hear it in second. Also, without hearing the sound.. we-Zone folks- will try to diagnose what is wrong, but it's gonna take some time. be patient. Help us to help you. :) oh, and you should have bought a TLS! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts