TLZone Forums banner

2006gsxr600 vs 97tl1000s

4K views 84 replies 25 participants last post by  PAPPACLART 
#1 ·
tl only has renegade slip ons and f41 ecu...

we did a highway roll from about 70-top speed... i walked his ass the WHOLE Way.

i was like dude were u on it? he said yeah dude.. u just walked me. we tried it out several times with the same exact results.

tl got up to 160-165 and held steady there.

i thought 600's were faster than our bikes :O

and we both can ride our bikes very well. since it was a highway roll on rider doesnt really come into play (yes we were both fully tucked)

#2 ·
The TL is a quick bike. I had a 40mph roll with Garfield while he ws riding his CBR1100 Blackbird. I pulled an instant 30 feet on him, it was only when I hooked her into 5th that he started to gain on me but at about 155mph. we shut off after that but he would have caught and passed me should it have been safter to continue.

TL's are very quick from slower speeds if one cracks the throttle open. A combination of low gearing in the firt 3 gears as well as a stonkingly torquey engine make a TL very competitive in certain situations. I have even Matched an MV1000 from a 3rd gear roll, but as soon as I hooked 4th he buggered off into the distance. :laugh

I am a squid:laugh

#3 ·
call me a squid too... my buddy and i enjoy messin around.. in somewhat controlled situations. i was tired of guys sayin 'oh 600 will catch in long run' ..lies...

when my buddy on his 04 cbr600rr does more trash talkin... ill shut him up :D the tl is so good out of the hole too from turns the torque just walks away from other bikes :)

#4 ·
where you both in high gear? :dowhat

im just curious? rollons on fun... :banana

#8 ·
my riding buddy has a 1000RR Honda 2007....cant touch him in any gear....can stay on his ass though and make him wonder...:devious :devious

I have a 97 TLS..PC2..15/41 Gearing...1/5th

#9 ·
Woohoo...120hp bike beats a 105hp bike. Sounds like you really won there. :coocoo

#11 ·
The TL has a pretty broad power spread, the 600's a rather narrow one. if you were just rolling on in one gear then the TL will have the advantage, if shifting and chosing any gear one might like is allowed and the 600 rider knows his stuff then it would have been a very close race:)

#13 ·
:stupid

6-7K in 5th is around 100-120mph with stock gearing. If your friend knew how to ride his 600 he would have given you a fright, he should have rolled on high up in the range in probably 3rd, not 6th.

#14 ·
I'm lazy - changing gears takes too much energy. I'd rather just roll the throttle on & off and thud-thud-thud around :yes

I love reading reviews of the new I4's etc ... "I dropped it down 3 gears to get it into the wide powerband between 17,000 and 18,000 rpm and just peeled away" ... :laugh

Whatever gets you off though eh. Personally, if I'm going to have to rev something that hard to get it to rip my arms outa the sockets ... I'd rather get a lung full of 2-stroke smoke at the same time ;)

#16 ·
Anybody not driving the piss out of a late model 600 is not supposed to stay with a TL on a roll-on. Don't believe the hype - torque rules:thumbup

#17 ·
I can attest that a good roll on 600 vs TL is a tough win for the TL, but the TL will win. I did make Chad work to take me down the front straight at MSR. First time he had a go at me he pulled on me and pulled alongside me, but I was later on the brakes and forced him to drop behind me. He romped along behind me and used a higher entry speed to get the drive outta the corner on the outside of me and had enough oomph to overtake me and stuff me at the end of the straight.

If we'd have been at TWS he'd have gotten me on the first go round because all he needed was a little more room. With my TL I could take the 600's with ease down the straight at TWS, but those Kawi 636's required some work, planning and proper drive outta the last corner.

Beating a 600 on the highway...yea, he should have made you work a little, but it's a no brainer that the TL will win that one.

#51 ·
I can attest that a good roll on 600 vs TL is a tough win for the TL, but the TL will win. I did make Chad work to take me down the front straight at MSR. First time he had a go at me he pulled on me and pulled alongside me, but I was later on the brakes and forced him to drop behind me. He romped along behind me and used a higher entry speed to get the drive outta the corner on the outside of me and had enough oomph to overtake me and stuff me at the end of the straight.

I'm sure a better rider could have done better with the TL but Jasen was pulling on my ass like there is no tomorrow. I was riding as hard as I can just to keep up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIGpUAe9ae0

#18 ·
not to hijack the thread but most diffs. in all bikes has little to do with the machine but alot to do with the rider cause I got a 01 TLS pcII and yoshi slip ons and can slay my buddies 01 FZ1 with full muzzy exhaust and a stage 2 jet kit up to about a 145mph and then he comes around me alot people will tell you that this not possible but I can do it all day long and mine needs to be mapped as it is running real rich and then when I do a roll on at 55 against my wife on her 07 650 r ninja I got to go down 2 gears to catch up she is less exp. rider but alot smaller on alot newwer bike just my 2 cents worth if you can spank them good for you

#19 ·
If you are running 6-7K rpm on your TL, the 600 rider needs to be running 10K rpm on his 600. At 7,000 rpm, you are right at the torque zone for the TLS and only a bit over 1,000 rpm away from peak hp.

I have done track days on my TLS and did not have much on a properly ridden (ie the snot being revved out of it) ZX636 down the straights. Granted, I was working a lot less hard - I think he made 3 gear changes and all I did was roll it on at 6,500. It is hard to beat the initial TL lunge off corners with a 600. Just don't go racing any GSXR1000s. :)

#23 ·
JiT, I used to do 6th gear rollons against a friend with a 954. Initially I'd pull on him and he'd be looking at my rear wheel...right until he hit that explosive I4 powerband. Then he'd come rolling right on by me.

Granted, I was working a lot less hard - I think he made 3 gear changes and all I did was roll it on at 6,500.
You were working a lot less hard to get the power out of the bike, but he was working less hard to get his bike through the corners. The lil gixxer is much more work with the shifting to keep up, but I guarantee you that I come off the track less tired with the gixxer than I ever did with the Tiller. This is the reason I'd rather have a big V-Twin for the street. That easy power and you don't have to ride it to the ragged edge every single second you are on it so who cares how much it weighs.

#21 ·
If any of you wanna know how bad the TL gets slain, by a modern 1000 then I have a story. My buddy has K5 Gixxer1000, excellent rider, previous TLR owner until he split a deer with it. Any ways when I got my Tiller we decided to go play for a little bit out in the country. Roll on from 60mph:

Tiller 4th gear 7k
Gixxer 6th gear what ever rpm that works out to at 60mph

BAM! were off WOT

Hook 5th see he is still back about 30ft

hook 6th he is closing in fast

look at the speedo reads 140ish

shut her down

he comes past like i'm chained down

he never shifted down.

The new Gixxer 1000 will peel your face off!! Lovin it:D

#76 ·
I have a TLR street bike that I have owned for 8 years and have done about 6 track days with and a 636 track-only bike that I recently bought and have done 2 track days with. The 636 handles like a mountain bike with an engine- grabbing the brakes is like hitting a wall, and it tips into turns almost too easily compared to the TLR. But, you have to ride it like you are trying to break it to go fast. After getting use to the lazy feel (but mega-torquey) TLR motor, I am having trouble adjusting to revving the 636 like I am mad at it. It is docile until over 10K RPM, but from about 11/12K to 15K it is a screaming banshee with an amazing top end rush, but you really have to work to keep the motor spinning REAL fast all the time, or your corner exits will be pathetically slow...like mine. I miss the huge torque that is seemingly always available with the TLR, but love the light weight and handling. The 636 should help me work on carrying speed through corners, which I figure is what I should be working on anyway. It doesn't take a lot of skill to pin the throttle and go fast in a straight line.

#25 ·
TL10000R

0-60 3.0
0-100 6.0
0-130 11.00
0-150 17.00
100-150 through the gears = 11.00seconds
ss/qm 10.80/128mph
ss/km 19.90/156mph
SS/mile 28.00/160mph

Suzuki GSXR1000 K6
0-60 2.8
0-100 5.3
0-130 8.00
0-150 11.00
100-150 through the gears = 5.7secs
ss/qm 10.30/145mph
ss/km 19.90/173mph
SS/mile 26.00/182mph

#27 ·
that 10.30 qm time is terrible.
should be at least a high 9... :rolleyes

mph is spot on :hail

#29 ·
that 10.30 qm time is terrible.
should be at least a high 9... :rolleyes

mph is spot on :hail
Yeah yeah a high 9 is possible and has been done but was using an average figure:laugh

And also the figures you get on your TL if run @ sea level could also be improved upon along with your terminal;)

#28 ·
And Pappa, we are comparing the gixxer 600, not the 1k. :coocoo

#30 ·
And Pappa, we are comparing the gixxer 600, not the 1k. :coocoo

Well the conversation changed to the GSXR1000 but if you must...:tongue

GSXR600

0-60 3.2
0-100 6.5
0-130 11.5
0-150 20.00
100-150 13.5
SS.QM 11.00/127mph
SS/KM 21.00/153mph
SS/Mile 29.00/ 157mph

Again figures are an average.

PS

I am sad enough to be able to tell you the acceleration figures of almost any modern bike:coocoo

#32 ·
don't see the big concern about the new gsxr times unless you are going to buy one and I ride a TLS and no I don't Tiller riders are gay not that much diff. between the 2 in my oppinion just me though have a blast on mine every time I ride and especially short spurts when I walk all over my buddies fz1

#33 ·
I've only owned a TL for a few days, but so far have found the steering to be relatively heavy and sluggish. Taking the damper off might help, although i guess with in a 'roll on' war down a straight road, it won't matter much....

For me, the real essence of riding is not in straight lines-any muppet can do that; rather firing through the twisties and scratching your pegs whilst you do quicker bikes on the inside.... Not sure if you have many twisty roads in the States*, but they are 10 a penny here. That's what riding is about. To that effect, so far it's my opinion that my old Falco handled better than the TL, as did the Tuono. The TL IS fun though.

* please forgive my blinkered view of American riding, it's been somewhat tarnished by such masterpiece films as 'Torque'

#34 ·
Not sure if you have many twisty roads in the States*, but they are 10 a penny here. * please forgive my blinkered view of American riding, it's been somewhat tarnished by such masterpiece films as 'Torque'
Depends on where your at. If your in Kansas...well, they are all straight roads...for miles and miles.

On the other hand you've got some nice riding in California, Colorado and such... www.dealsgap.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.