TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 TLR, and I've been noticing when I roll off the throttle I can hear a noise like vavle tapping. Just had a major service done. Apparently the valve clearances were fine etc. The noise is bugging the crap out of me. Its done about 28k and runs fine apart from the tapping. Thought the forums might have a few clues as to what's causing it, I'm afraid of doing serious damage if I'm not careful.

Thanks in advance.
Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it backfire at all, or does the exhaust "pop?" If so, check the exhaust gasket on the rear pipe.
No. No backfire/pop at all. Runs smooth, no smoke, stuttering, idles fine. Just a clicking when off throttle, winds up or down on rpm. Warm and cold.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum gunny! :thumbup

I have a 2001 TLR, and I've been noticing when I roll off the throttle I can hear a noise like vavle tapping. Just had a major service done. Apparently the valve clearances were fine etc. .....
How long have you owned this TL prior to this "major service?"

Could it be that you are being extra critical in evaluating their work, so that you are now hearing things that seem to be very noticeable, but maybe they were there all along? TL's do make a lot of top end tapping/clicking noises between the valves, scissor gears, and injectors. If the valves were not adjusted, they shouldn't be any noisier now. However, if the valves were a little tight prior to the service, and now they are set to spec, then I would expect a little more noise from them.

How is the oil level?

Is the fuel level in the tank lower than normal? Along with the fairing panels, it can amplify certain sounds.

Was the air filter changed during this service? Were the cam chain tensioners adjusted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the service done a few days ago. The mechanic could hear the sound too but couldn't find anything that would make it. Oil/fuel etc were good. They replaced air/oil filter, spark plugs, balanced the throttle bodies, checked valve clearances. I've had the bike about a year and a half, only noticed the noise about 3 months ago. But it could've been there the whole time and I haven't noticed but I don't think so. I have noticed that after the service when I sit at about 3500rpm it chugs and stutters a bit. But yeah, mechanics are stumped by it as am I. I think until something is seriously noticeably going wrong ill put it down to me being over critical. It is after all a bike that is getting on in years I guess. So its ride it like you stole it till rebuild time or major fault ��

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
If a picture is worth a thousand words, just imagine how valuable a video with audio is :yes

·
Registered
11 Posts
i've had my 2000 tlr for about six months now and it just recently started making a loud tapping noise after i hit a pot hole on the expressway going about 55-60 mph i'm new to forums and couldn't figure out how to start one so i found the closest thread to my problem and posted it here it started doing it after i hit the pothole and does it at all times like a lifter tap and increases with the rpm but seems to go away while driving or in high rpm any other info needed ill post after i figure out if i posted this right and what it is you need thanks in advance for any help and glad to be a part of the tiller family.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
If a picture is worth a thousand words, just imagine how valuable a video with audio is :yes

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Here's the video if i did it right
On my computer it sounds like an exhaust leak.

However, if it sounds metallic to you, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a look under the valve covers.

Concerning the debris in the oil and on the drain plug, a more discerning eye than mine is required.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Hard to tell. It does sound like exhaust. Although detonation sounds a bit sharper than usual. Almost as though exhaust is escaping from somewhere closer to the headers. Could be the exhaust valve clearance, but that's at the extreme end of things. Could just be an exhaust leak somewhere as Six stated. The fact that it started after hitting a pothole supports this theory. No sense guessing- Get the bike's clothes off and start eyeballing everything. If it is an exhaust leak it should be rather easy to spot. Regarding your oil... I'm not convinced that those images do it justice. The bits don't appear to be metallic, looks more like food particles or dirt, but can't really tell. Wouldn't mind seeing some sharper images.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok ill look in't the exhaust but i didnt see anything when i looked the first time and im not sure how to check valve clearances is it hard to do and do you need special tools?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You won't see it so much as hear it. If I had to guess (which I hate doing) I would say the most likely spot is behind the radiator. Of course, no one can really say for sure without actually seeing the bike. It could be something completely different. Could be something off with the air box, and what you're actually hearing is spitting from the throttle bodies. I ran my TLR without the air box a while back (cleaning injectors) and the throttle bodies made a very similar popping sound (obviously a lot louder than yours though). Of course, you would definitely notice a drop in performance if this were the case, which you have not previously mentioned. No loss in performance, and the fact that this occurred/occurs only after hitting a pothole suggests that something is loose. Hitting a pothole wouldn't affect your valves.

That being said, yes you would need a special gauge to check your valve clearance. Unfortunately I cannot tell you if it's easy to do or not, because I've never done it (probably should though). There are plenty of folks in here who have though, so just hold tight and they'll be along.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so i looked deeper into the exhaust and i found this i believe this is my culprit so i ordered me gaskets and will update after I change them i didn't realize it had a gasket in the middle of the exhaust i kept looking up by the front manifold hopefully I got it figured out

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so i got the exhaust gaskets today and started tearing the bike down but there is no gasket in the middle just a clamp but its definatly leaking there so does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ok so i got the exhaust gaskets today and started tearing the bike down but there is no gasket in the middle just a clamp but its definatly leaking there so does anyone have any advice?
That's not an OEM exhaust. There are tapes and compounds that can be used to seal exhaust leaks, but the system needs to be removed, cleaned, and inspected to determine which method to use, IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts