TLZone Forums banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Found a vid where you can kinda hear it, cans mask it quite a bit, camera mic was bad and I had a spark plug failing on me in that vid. But when revving under 3k or walking around the bike at a certain angle it gets quite audible in the vid.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Yup, perfectly normal. The TLR engine is built with some seriously high-grade parts. If something was wrong with it you'd know it.

Actually, disregard that statement. Last TLR I worked on seemed to run Okay when it rolled into my garage. Later found out that its pistons we're damaged. Whole damn bike was damaged to be honest. But the damn thing still started and drove. At least, it did before I worked on it
😞

See: Resurrection of Bob thread

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am going to put it back together today and hopefully I do it right.. Ill upload a video when I do.. Thanks guys for all the help.. Ill be back soon enough

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Where's the video?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Nope. Everything is tight. Could you hear it though? I don't wanna run it to much. Nervous as to damage more.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I didn't here anything unusual. Just sounded like a cold TLR. It stops hard because those pistons weigh a ton.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Okay, I believe I hear the sound you're referring to now, but I still can't say with certainty that there's a problem. I know I've heard that exact sound many times before while starting my TLR after working on it.

The sound is similar to something metallic (like a piston or valve) suddenly slamming into place when you take your finger off the Starter switch. It doesn't always do it. Completely random. I just tried to duplicate it again on mine and it won't do it. As I said, I only remember hearing it after the bike was worked on and had been sitting for a while, but I can't be sure. Now I'm curious.

Do you hear the same sound (consistently) while the bike is running? I couldn't hear anything over your exhaust.

NOTE: For the record, as I mentioned previously, I believe only Sam or Stu (The Ring In) currently have the knowledge and experience necessary to assist you with diagnosing this via the internet. For example, I personally have never heard a TLR engine with a bad rod bearing, rod knock, warped head, bent valve, timing off, etc.. I'm sure the two of them have heard/experienced just about everything. Try shooting them a pm and asking them to give the video a listen.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts