TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a tlr 1000 with 15,000 miles it run great.. Its my first bike like this, and son I changed the oil just to make sure and be positive that it was good. When I was finished I cycled it and checked the oil level and once it was good I took it for a spin and after a quick acceleration but not to aggressive it seemed to loose a bit of power.. So I pulled over about a mile after and when it got to low rpms I could hear a knocking noise not sure crime where except that it was in the engine.. And when it got to almost an idle it died. I checked the oil level and it was still okay.. I tried to start it again and it had some difficulty.. But the third time it fired right up but I could hear a low toned knocking. I immediately shut the bike down, and having started it again.. Before it died the first time there wasn't any smoke coming from the exhaust.. Does anyone have any clue as to what to do to determine the problem or the damage.. I have removed all plastics, carbs, plugs, exhaust,radiators already but not sure where or what to do next.. Anything would be great.. Also this is my first time ever to work on a motorcycle motor like this before..

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Would really need to hear the knocking you're referring to. Both my TLRs have a slight knock from the valves, but you really have to listen for it to hear it.

Was your knock very noticeable? Did it get louder with throttle? Was it blowing smoke from the canisters? Was it going above 190 degrees F? What did the plugs look like?

The more you can tell us the better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smoke anywhere, plugs look good, knock was very noticeable. Loud but not extremely loud with a clank more of a thud knock.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I'll just let Sam or Stu handle this one. They're the experts on engine repair. They do live across the pond though, so they won't be on for another 4-5 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Just an idea while you're waiting. You might try googling motorcycle engine knock and finding one that best fits what you're hearing. May help Sam/Stu pinpoint your issue.

For example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBYIs6qxvE

·
Registered
152 Posts
I googled the TL knock some time ago there are plenty folk can relate to it lol. Mine has a top end tick knock that they all seem to have or at least the ones I have heard. A long screwdriver to your ear and the opposite end to the engine will diagnose what part is noisy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean a long screwdriver to your ear? Are you talking about putting it down the spark plug hole? I done that and tried to push on it to see if there was any kind of slack but there was none. And the motor turns pretty easily using a socket... Should I just put it back together and start it up to see where the knock comes from and to record it so that there is a better reference for people that know what they are talking about to go by.. Cause honestly I'm in some serious need of fixing this.. This is my only transportation and I have to get to work and so fourth.. I don't have the money for the shop so its all on me and the kindness of people who like to help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heck yea that's cool. Never would have thought... That's a good trick.. Well in the am I'm going to put the bike back together and see if I can figure it out. Or would it be easier to just go ahead and check the most common suspects first being I've got it down to just the block with the valve covers loose?...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I really hate giving advice on things of this nature, because there's just too many unknown variables. Saying it's a loud dull knock really doesn't give us enough to go on. It could be anything from a bent valve, lose timing chain, rod bearing, exhaust leak, etc.. Hell, it could be as simple as something knocking about in the Air Box.

If it were me... I would put it back together, record the sound best I could, and post it up on here for Stu or Sam to inspect. But that's me. I've never done major repair work on an engine block, but Sam and Stu have.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Is this the "ticking" sound that you're hearing on your TLR?

https://youtu.be/uxcpYx52xoE

NOTE: Geeze... now I'm starting to wonder about the ticking on my own damn bike hahaha.... That's either one hell of a noisy lifter (by design) or theres an arc in that lead somewhere. Power, Idle, Throttle Response, etc., are all spot on. Maybe I'm just hearing things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I do beleve.. I didn't let it run very much.. I didn't want to damage the engine anymore than it already is... What is the problem in that video?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Is that yours Josh ?
Yes.

... What is the problem in that video?
No problems. Bike runs perfectly. I've had this loud ticking since day one. I believe my previous TLR had it as well, although I can't recall with 100% certainty. My previous TLR had a full Yosh system on it, so you couldn't really hear anything over Satan's apocalypse escaping from the canisters.

Let's wait and see if some of my homies pop in and add their 2.5 cents on the matter to confirm. But for now, I say if you're hearing the same ticking as my bike in the video, then it's perfectly normal.

NOTE: Be sure it's the same ticking, in the same spots.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine does it but doesn't seem that loud if im honest. Maybe its because yours is recorded it sounds a little worse. I did enquire with the mechanic who did my MOT and he laughed saying mine was one of the better ones dont worry about it they all do it. He called it agricultural lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I definitely recognize that tick sound as well, can't say for sure if it is as loud but at least it is the same tick :)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts