TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work with a guy that says he has a friend that owns a TL1000 2 stroke moto gp bike and wants to sell it. has anybody heard of such a thing ?
a 2 stroke TL? really? :O

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
maybe it's just wrapped with TL plastics....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats exactly what I was thinking? trying to pass of a POS for a rare, never heard of, custom bike. probly a honda dirt bike with zuki parts hot glued to it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well, its pretty clear that the TL isn't a two stroke. Also, it wouldn't be possible to turn it into one re-using the lower end as the TL uses a plain bearing crank... The TL chassis is far from moto gp spec.

One other problem, there has never been (to my knowledge) a motogp class that would have allowed a 1000cc two stroke to compete.

So, long story short, it seems most unlikely that your friend is correct, but it would be extremely cool if he were:roost

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
ah but you could turn a tl motor into a two stroke diesel !! you would of course need a supercharger,then all of the valves (yes all four !) would be the exhaust valves,of course diff. cams.then you would only need some barrels,cylinders with ports all the way around opening a certain amount of degress around bdc. a pump with direct injectors and you would have a screaming monster !! of course as all diesiels it would have a very narrow power band maybe a 2-speed rear hub ?? you will need the gears,

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:lol still have to work out a way to keep the crank alive too. Machine new cases and fit roller/ball bearings:O

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
You guys are killin me here.
Too much info for a newbie
:banghead:banghead:banghead
Short version - Your friend is misinformed.

However, I'm sure we are all curious, so offer to look over the bike and get some pics, then post em here for our enjoyment and proper identification.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have owned a MotoGP type 2 stroke GP bike(Yamaha TZ250) and a TL1000R at the same time. Nothing is similar between the two. Your friend has his terminology screwed up. TL's would never be run in MotoGP, its not a production class form of racing.
The MotoGP's are factory prototypes the production bikes race in world superbike and the closest thing to it was an RC51 ridden by Colin Edwards before he went to MotoGP.
Older 2 stroke GP bikes were 125cc, 250cc and 500cc before the switch to 4 stroke (Gas) engines.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if anyone believes in a 2 stroke tl1000 then there's a bridge here i'd like to sell them
it'll have to be dismantled, but i'll sell it kinda cheap:devious

kajir
x

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe its an RGV and the guy doesnt know what he has? In that case, play dumb and lowball him!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:worthless

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
you mean this one?

:bitchslap :laugh