TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i would like to know if anybody knows if the 1998 engines of the TLS already have the better oilways, other crankshaft, bigger bearings, ...? i did a search and couldn't come up with any definite answers

i have a 98 TLS engine, and it has all the outside features of a 97 engine: tempsensor in radiator, no 2nd outlet on waterpump, no rear cyl. crankcase vent etc. but it feels way less powerfull than my old 97 TLS engine...was there some sort of intermediate version, before they did all the exterior mods in the 99 version? :O

would there be an easy way to check it?

cheers, and thanks for the answers! :)
jan

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Mine was an early 98 and had all the 98 mods done to it.

3 wire GPS, coolant sensor location, waterpump cover, vent on the rear cam cover, clutch cover, steering damper etc, etc There wasn't a hybrid as far as I know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm

first time on the road: 07/08/1998
VIN: VTS1A100963 (came from england), but of course you never know if the engine is still the original one.

so i probably have a left-over 97 then?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Something wrong with the VIN, but going by the last digits it's a 97 (if it was a UK one to start with).

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
If it helps, I've got a 98 engine in a 97 frame and there's a sensor (poss gear box) on the RHS, above and to the back of the main engine cover. Anyway, it goes no-where. Also I bought it without the neutral light installed, and later on it seemed that it couldn't be because of the connectors or wiring.

my 2 cents.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Steve covered the external differences, internal are :-

Different Crank - oil ways drilled from both sides
Different crank cases - Modified for Larger Output Shaft Bearing and Retainer
Different Gearbox Output Shaft - see above
Bigger Oil Pump
6 Spring Clutch
Crankcase Oil Breather Reed Valve Reversed to allow only air in not out as 97 model

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
@Sam: Are you sure all these differences were covered for the 98 models?
The clutch as example was only changed from 99 up. Thus X and later models. My 98 TL1000SW has the 5 spring clutch. I'm not sure about the other internal modifications.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Rufer, as far as I know it was just the clutch difference for the 98 and later ones. I think it was Les that stripped a 98 and found the larger output shaft bearing etc.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That's possible and good news.
But there are for sure minor things that changed after 98. The oil pump as example was improved more than once.

Greetings
Rufer

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
rufer said:
@Sam: Are you sure all these differences were covered for the 98 models?
You may be right Rufer, I'm not certain they all changed on the 98 model, but they were the major improvements over the 97 model

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts