TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a 1998 tlr with 18000 miles and a rebuilt engine has around 10000 is worth 4650. from what I saw of it the cosmetics and everything looked fine. Should I try. The price is pretty much set at 4650. I like it but is it a fair deal?

·
Registered
141 Posts
seems a little bit high for me. i don't put much faith in rebuilt motors. how many miles are on the rebuild? what was the reason for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres around 10000 miles on the rebuilt one. he built the 2000 tlr engine with bigger pistons and shaved heads for more power.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Shaved cylinder bases? Can't shave the heads on a TLR or the cam gears don't work.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
You'll need to know a LOT more about exactly what was done to the engine and who did it. Was it bored? Who did the replating of the cylinder? What pistons? Any other work, like rods? Any head work? Did he re-title to get eh new engine number on the title? Did you check the new engine number with the DMV? How was the bike used since the rebuild? Why was the rebuild done in the first place? Did they replace big-end bearings?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just for a frame of reference I bought my '98 TLR back in '04 for $4,100 or $4,300 (can't remember which) with 10k on the clock.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can get lower mileage TLRs with bout 10k=15k on the clock for that price.

A few on EBAY right now. Or you could look and find the sexier TL, the TLS:)

Let us know what you find my friend.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
That motor sounds shakey, but I've sold 2 mint TLR's in the past, a 99 three years ago for $5700 and a 2000 two years ago for $6100. Both to the first person the showed up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've put feelers out on my 98 TLR, it's got 21,000 miles on it and I'm the second owner. I paid 5000 for it 2 years ago with 14,500 miles on it. I've put on new tires, chain and sprockets, had the major service done on it, replaced fork seals and added a few other things. I've got 2 guys right now both wanting to buy it for 4800, my asking price, as soon as I say ok.
I don't think the one your looking at is too much, other then I don't know how I much I would trust the rebuilt motor, not knowing who did it, or how they did it. I'd rather have a higher milage motor that ran good and didn't use oil as opposed to one that I didn't know about.
People who want these bikes, and want them in good shape aren't shy about offering good money for them since they are getting harder to find. I don't really want to sell mine, but I think the time has come.
Regards Sonny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts