TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got details of the three recalls that applied to the 97 TLS ????
Know that there were 3
1 for ECU
2 for frame cracking and
3 for the steering damper.

agent nearest me denies all knowledge. pos that they are. need some kind of details to smack em up with.

TIA
Tom

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
They also changed the fuel tank (i think) ,the replacement has a pressed in X on the underside and upgraded gasket/flange.

The replacement ECU (97 is a F40 ? ) simply removed some of the hunting/surging at lower speeds.
The damper was a bolt on with a top triple clamp bracket ( the 98+ top triple had a 8mm stud for the damper mount at that end)
Frame cracking can happen on any year and any replacement depended on the dealer (I was told by my (big) NZ Suzuki dealer there was no cracking issue)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
:stupid

Tank
ECU
Steering damper retro fit.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
You can get a TRE for the '97 TLS, Ivan makes and sells them.

The reason they're not popular is that you can't make a true plug and play one because of the missing ground wire. Also it's the only model to use the 2 pin plug. Every other Gear position sensor plug is a 3 pin plug. A lot of trouble to mae one that only fits a single model.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re tre

no point putting a tre on a 97. no timing retard.

know what the recalls were. need some kind of doco on it. recall numbers or affected vins or anything in writing

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Here's some info on recall no.s. Tre works on a '97 with a recall ECU, cos it does have retarded timing. I made one for less than a dollar:).

What about the so-called ECU fix?
In September of 1997, Suzuki sent letters to all registered TL owners in the USA (and, apparently, other countries as well) offering their appology and a 'new replacement ECU' which they say will make the bike just about perfect ECU-wise and be much less sensitive to drifting out of tune than were the original few revisions of the ECU.
I had my ECU replaced via this program in September, 1997, in the USA. I am very happy with the result. The 'stumbles' are effectively gone, and the bike now feels like a well-carburated motorcycle.

Here are the part numbers:

32920-02F40 112100-0120 USA (original)
32920-02F41 112100-0123 USA (new, per Suzuki)

32920-02F00 112100-0070 UK & Australia (original)
32920-02F00 112100-0072 UK (original)
32920-02F00 112100-0090 UK (original)
32920-02F01 NZ & Australia (new)

The parts department at Suzuki GB says: "It seems that the 32920-02 part is a worldwide ID number for the ECU. The bit that starts Fxx signifies a variation in the ECU dependent upon the market for which it is intended (UK-F00, USA-F40). The bit which starts 112100-xxxx is probably a manufacturers number or a batch number."

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
No they recalled the '97 ecu and replaced it with a castrated but smoother more reliable one. The TRE gives it back it's balls, and irons out stumbles etc.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
check the make date on the 97

mine is a 10/97 which steve kindly pointed out to me is a 98 spec.

so it has no 97 probs. it was still recalled but not sure why.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
no point putting a tre on a 97. no timing retard....
Why do you say that?

Even on the original ECU, a gear position sensor was fitted and wired to the ECU so it knew what gear the engine was in. They went to that trouble and never used it until they recalled the ECU's and fitted later generation ones. :confused

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Nope, not for the coolant sensor in the radiator either.

For '98 they changed the breather, coolant sensor, ECU etc, then from 99 onwards they slipped in a TLR 6 spring clutch.

There were other changes too. Output shaft bearing width, crank oiling, oil pump, heads etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Doesn't the manual state that that is for ram air compensation in higher gears (higher gears=>higher speed=>ram air compensation)?

Why do you say that?

Even on the original ECU, a gear position sensor was fitted and wired to the ECU so it knew what gear the engine was in. They went to that trouble and never used it until they recalled the ECU's and fitted later generation ones. :confused

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i dyno'd both ecu's...one straight after ther other.....no noticable difference on power.....

·
Registered
264 Posts
with the ecu the thermostat is replaced also. this was 1 recall.

Frame only in case of cracks. Mine is still a 1997 one.

Other parts replaced, under warranty, but not as a recall.

- exhaust mufflers due to cracking
- clutch cover due to leaking
- clutch itself: slipping. still a 5 bolt

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,854 Posts
Okay so my TLS says 1/97 on the manufacture date.. how do I go about checking if I can get recall stuff taken care of? will they still do it?

Thanks!!
Normally there's a sticker on the side of the frame to let you know. I doubt you'll get any joy from Suzuki 11 & a half years later. They would have sent a letter to the person they had on record as having that VIN, if they didn't take it in then SOL I think.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Doesn't the manual state that that is for ram air compensation in higher gears (higher gears=>higher speed=>ram air compensation)?
I also heard TRE was unecessary on original "97 ecu, and you are right, 5th and 6th are slightly richer to compensate for ram air...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Normally there's a sticker on the side of the frame to let you know. I doubt you'll get any joy from Suzuki 11 & a half years later. They would have sent a letter to the person they had on record as having that VIN, if they didn't take it in then SOL I think.
I've read a recent thread where guys have got new tanks, after leak problems with the 'un-recalled' one. Maybe it takes total failure, and a good service log???

But yeah, if you turn up with a shopping list they'd probably just laugh at you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts