TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My 97 TL1000S keeps over feuling every 3rd month give or take. I have done some research on the issue and noted that it requires the thermostat mod to stop doing it.....but i thought of something else.
What if i install a power commander and adjust fueling through it to stop the cold map of the ECU? I saw a unit on ebay that i can plug into my laptop to adjust the mapping and to play with it myself? Will this work? Or will i just waste my money? Any feedback would be much appreciated

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
The mod is cheap to do. I bought a thermostat housing from an sv 650 complete with sensor and pipes needed for 15 UK pounds. Then I bought the later water pump outlet with the extra pipe for about 40 UK pounds .
If you do what you suggest the engine will still be running too cold. Not good

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I also have an 88°c thermost and a 95°c fan switch on both my TLS's keeps it in that sweet spot pretty well.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Hi guys. My 97 TL1000S keeps over feuling every 3rd month give or take. I have done some research on the issue and noted that it requires the thermostat mod to stop doing it.....but i thought of something else.
What if i install a power commander and adjust fueling through it to stop the cold map of the ECU? I saw a unit on ebay that i can plug into my laptop to adjust the mapping and to play with it myself? Will this work? Or will i just waste my money? Any feedback would be much appreciated
Is yours a 97/98 then. They didn't come in those colours on the early years. I though the blue came out in 2000?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, it makes sense what youre saying.
I am going to do that mod. Is the fan switch and thermostat sensor youre using from a vehicle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tlsgazza my tl's original colour was red,previous owner made it blue.
Just the fueling issue is costing me now, ive replaced alot of parts just the thermostat mod that needs to be done. I really love this bike. Cant get enough really. Thanks bud for your input now i know more

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Water pump cover from the sv doesn't fit neither will the tlr one as the tlr is different because of the dual radiators etc. The thermostat housing does as will the tlr one. I only bought the later water pump outlet to do a tidy job. Many have just split the pipe and put a T piece in.
The thermostat and fan switch are generic car parts. Many Japanese cars use the same parts. Suzuki. Cars especially. I just searched on eBay till I found the right one.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
This is the one you need with the longer output pipe with the extra small pipe on the rear. Or make a T piece and use your existing one.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank u very much, u made it possible for me to understand this mod exactly.
Very much appreciated 🤙

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Must i replace the sensors? Or can i use the stock one on the sv650? What is the benefit of getting others?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Must i replace the sensors? Or can i use the stock one on the sv650? What is the benefit of getting others?
You will need to leave the temperature sensor in the radiator on yours but move the wiring to the new temperature sensor on the replaced thermostat housing. This way the ECU will pick up the temperature from there instead of the cold radiator. I'm not sure what temperature the thermostat is in the sv. It will be written on it. You need one that keeps the temperature above 80°c so the bike will use the warm map all the time. I found with an 82°c thermostat my 97 was quite often running around 78-79°c a lot of the time which is why I changed to an 88°c thermostat. Mine might have been running a little cooler because of the silicon hoses. I fitted a lower temp fan switch because I felt waiting for it to kick at 105-110°c the engine was running too hot especially in the summer. I preferred it kicking in before the engine got too hot. You don't need to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks alot. Today i went to Bike hospital in Johannesburg. I did find a thermostat housing from a Tl1000R and a water pump cover with T piece from a cagiva raptor. It cost me around 200 pounds. Extremely expensive? To what prices are in the UK....but i have it. Tomorrow i am going to do the mod and a service again. I tried to find the sensors at my local parts store but was unsuccessful. I will buy it from ebay. Much easier i believe. Cause i want to make that swap with the 2 sensors as well cause here in South Africa it can get pretty hot in summer. I am also not comfortable with my TL running at that high temps after i made the mod.
Thanks for your help.
I really appreciate it alot cause it will save me some cash in the future

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You can also do a manual fan switch. All you do is put a toggle switch connected to the thermo wires. When shorted, you lie to the fans and they turn on.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
You can also do a manual fan switch. All you do is put a toggle switch connected to the thermo wires. When shorted, you lie to the fans and they turn on.
I used to have one. I'd either forget to turn it on soon enough or forget to turn it back off again. :lol :lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
🤣🤣yes i will probably make the same mistake....did find an aftermarket fan switch on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could swear i did read somewhere on this forum of a rectifier/regulator mod? Is there such a mod on the TLS?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts