TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an '87 Yamaha XT600. I know it's big and heavy, it'll mostly be for making a short commute and just messing around on a little trail riding. Anyone have thoughts on this bike? Thinks to look out for?:O

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Old school thumpers like that may not do anything particularly well, but they are amazingly versatile. They can cruise the highway at 75 mph with ease, yet still tackle gnarly terrain. They are the original adventure bikes before adventure bikes existed, and they capture the essence of motorcycling.

Probably the one bike I had the most fun on was my '83 Honda XL600. Wheelie wars with MC mag editor Tim Carrithers at the Rock Store, off roading pretty much everywhere and every 90 degree right turn at an intersection was an opportunity to step out the back end and cap it off with a wheelie. They are eminently tossable/rideable machines.

With their solid deliberate power, they are also cake to do long wheelies on. Allow me to elaborate :devious

If it is in good shape grab it, put some TLC into it and then uncork your inner hooligan and enjoy the ride :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on CL $500 but he said it needs a kick start. He has the title. I'm trying to work a trade for some tools and maybe a scooter.

I've never really ridden off road so I know I won't be wringing it's neck too hard. From what you say it's pretty much what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know much about the XT. From what I remember it was considered outdated/old school in the 80's, but also considered really reliable and such. Motor performance is fairly good, but they are heavy and under-suspended as compared to the XL600 of that era. They can be a pain to start too, but that's true of most older four strokes and usually not hard to overcome if you are able to setup the carb well and get accustomed to the voodo ritual the bike prefers.

The price seems good. Depending on how much you want to spend it might be just right or if you were interested you could probably get a very clean DR350SE for about 1800 (nearly as much power and a lot less weight to the older 600's I think or a DR350S (kick start version) for about 1200.) or an XR650L for about 2k (e-start, much improved suspension, about the same weight as the XT) or an XR650R converted for dual sport use for about 2500.

dual sports can be a load of fun and off road riding is by far the most fun you can have on two wheels imho:banana

Here's an example of a DR350S that might be of interest.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1476175349.html

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to look for something a little newer but I think I'd have trouble getting the wifey to let me back in the house if I spent any money on one. She doesn't understand that I need more than one bike. :lol

I'm pretty good with carbs and bike voodoo. Haven't had too much trouble with my friends bikes (CR500 and an old XT500 with a ton of White brothers parts on it).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It shouldn't be much different from the XT500 re starting. It'll be a lot different from the CR - the big two stroke takes a healthy leg, but no voodo:laugh

I'd be tempted to suggest that you need a newer model, then you can look for a newer bike too:laugh

One nice thing about the older ones, esp for someone new to off road is that they tend to be shorter and a lower CG which makes them easier to manage at low speeds. They also tend to have long stroke motors and heavy flywheels which as duken says makes for good wheelies:)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mind the old, large, and heavy parts of the bike. I'm 6'2" so I shouldn't have too much issue. I assume there can be some sort of fix if I find the suspension too soft. I'm 185lbs and don't really plan on loading the thing to the hilt with luggage really.

Also, if for some reason the shaft the kick starter is on is bugared up is that shaft a big job? I'm not affraid to tear into the engine, I just don't want to have to. All the ad says is "runs good needs kick starter" so I'm hoping he just lost the lever is all.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
If you need a new kicker shaft it is not that big a deal. I put a kicker kit on my DRZ and it took a couple hours. It entailed pulling the clutch side cover and, oh, about 29 bolts that were holding it on.

If you can bump start it and it does not smoke when cold, buy/trade for $500. Ya can't lose to badly at that price :D

My XL600 was durable as hell by the way. I probably put 10,000 off road miles on it and 20,000 total. The friend I sold it to had 40K miles on it when he sold it. No problems.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
easy job just be prepared to put a new clutch cover gasket,i have an xt550 parts bike same engine,really ,but it has had the cover off and i think the shaft is gone

J

·
0 Posts
xt's are heavy, get the TT-r 600, preferrably the latest TT-RE, which has electric start.

it has same bullet proof engine as XT's, but the frame is more like motocross light and has aluminium swing arm and it's light, it has öhlins rear shock as standard.

in this price range you need to invest when you buy, don't try to get the old and the cheap. put little more money and you get 10 years younger and much better bike.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to put more money in to getting a better bike but I don't actually have tha cash. The only way this will work for me is if the guy is willing to trade for stuff I have. If I can I'll probably pick this bike up (condition pending) and if I like using an enduro style bike I'll upgrade in a couple years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a XR 600 a few years back, nice bike. A bit lighter and more powerful than the XT. I will be getting another similar bike when there's cash, the fun/$-value is huge :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Jarkko, the US never got the TT-R's to my knowledge:banghead

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to call the guy but no response.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Jarkko, the US never got the TT-R's to my knowledge:banghead
Not the 600 that I am aware of but I do have a TT-R 250 in my garage. (street legal to boot :)) I have barely ridden off road though :( The only trails around here are for mountain bikes - which isn't a bad way to go I should add.

One last thing, I fully understand the appeal of a motard style bike for street riding. Even though my 250 is underpowered and geared way low it's still fun to toss around. You get a great view sitting up tall as well.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, good clarification. I was aware of the smaller TTR's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts