TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just got a few sets of take offs from a racer buddy of mine that runs the Pirelli Supercorsa DOT race tires on his GSXR1000. He told me that they work on a 5.5" rear wheel which had me wondering. Hmmm.

So I went to the Pirelli website & found nothing there - surprise, surprise. So this weekend I went to the track & talked the Pirelli race support guys working the event during a break in the action. I was told there is no problem with this & guys on 750's & 600's run that tire size on the 5.5" rear wheels "all the time." That is more fodder for some here to ponder when they claim that all 180 series tires are designed for the 5.5" rear wheel & the 190's are only to be used on a 6.0" rear wheel. Sorry folks, this is just not the case. Talk to the race support tire guys in your neighborhood for the real story...

Just a heads up for those out there who maybe thinking of going this route. The Dunlop guys told me "not to run the 190/55 Dunlop Qualifiers on a 5.5" rear wheel."

:devious

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The Supercorsa Pro 190/55 is quite narrow for a 190 tyre. Compared with a Michelin, it has almost the width of a 180. That's probably why it works on the 5.5" rim as well.
Btw, the Supercorsa Pro is one of my favourite tyres. Simply excellent.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
Mr. DOBALINA said:
Just a heads up for those out there who maybe thinking of going this route. The Dunlop guys told me "not to run the 190/55 Dunlop Qualifiers on a 5.5" rear wheel."

:devious

I saw a Qualifier on the shelf last week and walked up to it to see what size it was because it look so FAT. It was definitely a 190, looked so fat compared to a 190/55 Supercorsa Pro.

So the 5.5" guys run 190's, the 6" guys run 180's :laugh

120/70 SC1 - 190/55 SC2 for me :yumyum

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Steve TLS said:
120/70 SC1 - 190/55 SC2 for me :yumyum

120/70 SC1 - 180/55 SC2 for me :yumyum

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Same as Steve here :yumyum
I'm already curious how the Diablo Superbike will be...

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Don't (or didn't) the ducati 996/6/9's use a 190 on a 5.5" rim?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Yummie info, thanks Mr Doobalina!! Now... if ... I .... could.... just.... get ..... more.... track.... time in. I might just burn through a set of tires and be able to try another type of tire BEFORE a NEW one comes out. dang, i feel behind the times only having had Dunlop D208's, then Michilin Pilot Powers, and now.. not by choice but because the local bike shop had them in stock... the Metzler Mez3's. Not too bad, but i think my Pilot Powers had quicker turn in, the metzlers seem to just be a lil slower to turn in but still offer nice grip, have yet to try them on a track day though. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts