TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes... I have started yet another gearing thread as my next step in world domination. :fingerlol

I am looking at getting some Supersprox dual compound sprockets for a gearing change, but for some reason the rear ones only come in 3 sizes, namely 38, 39 & 40.

So, I'm looking at going 16/40 (ideally I would have preferred to just go up two on the back).

Now I understand that this will mean standard size chain, but I've previously read somewhere here or on the Planet that going down one tooth in the front sprocket is not recommended because something gets worn or damaged?

Is this true?

And the other question, is this gearing perhaps too wild? Anyone run it themselves?

Bear in mind though that with stock gearing, full Yosh, Airbox mod, K&N and Tre I can't power wheelie (haven't tried clutching it 'coz I'm not that confident). Though have recently fitted the most excellent 1/5th throttle insert thanks to Rifleman, and have yet to seriously try afterwards.

I blame this mostly on my weight. And my fuel filter could probably need changing, air filter could use a clean, and my TBs could probably be sync'd too... :banghead

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Some have mentioned excessive chain guide wear on the top of the swingarm with a 16T front, but I think there's more 16T fronts getting around than complaints :dunno

I've not run a smaller than OEM front and have always gone up on the rear.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Why not find some sprockets in the sizes you want?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point.

I haven't found much in the way of sprocket choices online for Australia.... any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm running 16/40 on my track bike & don't have any problems on track days or hill climbs, tops out at 155mph on dyno

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
well the smaller sprocket will force the chain to make a sharper corner and cause more wear. So you might get a month more out of the larger sprocket :O -hopefully you won't push your chain to those limits.

Chain guide wear, when I ran 16 on the front it did seem to rest on the guide a lot. But I am heavy and that changed when the bike squatted under my weight.

I run 17/41 and +65mph speeds for an extended time is not fun -6K rpms

I would say 17/40 is a good speed/ power setup

Do all the maintenance to your bike and put some good rubber on th eback and she will come up -I'm 250 and dont have probs

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am running 16/40 Vortex with 520 pitch and I haven't had a problem. I don't notice the chain eating into the swingarm protector. However I heard it is best to get an even and odd sprocket as to walk the chain better.

·
Registered
593 Posts
what about running a 15/41 gearing? good or bad???

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
what about running a 15/41 gearing? good or bad???
I think you'll definitely be asking for trouble running a 15 on the front. It'll probably cause guide wear.

The smaller the front, the more stress it puts on the chain pins. Not just from the greater angles the chain has to move through, but the pulling stress is greater too.

There is actually less strain put on the chain the larger the rear.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I think you'll definitely be asking for trouble running a 15 on the front. It'll probably cause guide wear.

The smaller the front, the more stress it puts on the chain pins. Not just from the greater angles the chain has to move through, but the pulling stress is greater too.

There is actually less strain put on the chain the larger the rear.
I did not consider the stress... and as the chain and sprocket wear the stress will get worse

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
Some have mentioned excessive chain guide wear on the top of the swingarm with a 16T front, but I think there's more 16T fronts getting around than complaints :dunno

I've not run a smaller than OEM front and have always gone up on the rear.
Shoot Steve, you're getting soft.:laugh

One down on the front is equivalent to about 2.5 up on the rear. I've been running a 16 tooth front for about four years with no problem. The whole "more stress on the chain" arguments is more theoretical than anything you will actually see in real life. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if it rubs on the guard, that could cause you some problems. Mine does not rub though.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Shoot Steve, you're getting soft.:laugh

One down on the front is equivalent to about 2.5 up on the rear. I've been running a 16 tooth front for about four years with no problem. The whole "more stress on the chain" arguments is more theoretical than anything you will actually see in real life. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if it rubs on the guard, that could cause you some problems. Mine does not rub though.
Don't make me harden up.

The whole "more stress on the chain" arguments is more theoretical than anything you will actually see in real life.
It's real. If you drop from a 17T front to a 16T front you're adding 6.25% more stress on the chain. If stress is what wears it out, it will wear out 6.25% faster, get 6.25% less miles and that's best case if the relationship between stress and life is linear.

What if it's not linear? Wear and life could be substantially worse than the theoretical 6.25% ;) (edit: and now I'm emailing chain manfacturers for wear / life vs. stress charts :laugh)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts