TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently decide don the 16/40 sprocket ratio on my 1999 tlr. I order it today and i am very excited to put it on. SO i was hoping for some input from others who run thsi ratio on how nice that change over from stock was/is. How easy does the front end pull up? Top speed?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
IMHO you're better to go a few more teeth up on the back than use a 16t front, as this is harder on your chain. I use 17/40 on my TLS (2 up on rear), and love it. much better than stock, and with my mods the front wheel comes up when you hook 3rd, and comes up on roll-on in 2nd:pirate. You have to hold on with yor knees and feet, tight, as well as your hands, or it's goodbye nice knowing ya:laugh.

She pulls like a schoolboy and runs like a raped ape:dowhat.

My set up should, if anything, increase top speed...cos you cant get near redline in 6th with a stock setup; the lower gearing should help push through the wind resistance. I dunno about 1 down front, one up rear tho, might be TOO low for better top end???

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I personally don't care for such low ratios as it makes for more shifting and higher revs on the freeway. If you obsess about acceleration for a given gear then it will help, I just downshift. Its also quite useful if you ride track a lot and need to tighten up the space between the gears. Some folks really like gearing their bikes down though, perhaps you will too. Your spedo and odo will be very optimistic now, I'd recommend you order a yellow box or spedo healer to go with your sprockets.

have fun:banana

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I ran 17/42 on my old TLS rather than running a 16T front.

17/42 = 2.47:1
16/40 = 2.5:1

So they're close. Although the TLr starts of with 17/39 standard for 2.29:1

On mine the 17/42 ratio was kind of like losing 6th. When in 6th it was nearly the same as 5th with standard gearing so it wasn't too bad even on the highway.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i went to 16/41 which made things a whole lotta fun.......i'm tempted to go to 42 though........i dont really care about top speeds, you can pretty much only do top speed in a straight line unless your a racing god. i think getting that punch in the face as you gas it up out of a bend is much more rewarding.........i bet in 6 months time you start thinking about a 42:devious

W

·
0 Posts
i got 16/40 on the raptor which works perfectly for this kinda bike (naked hooligan bike)

might be overkill on the TLR, but try it out and see if you like it :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
With the 16/40 gearing your theoretical top speed will be about 161mph at the hard ignition cut with the soft rev limiter removed. Mine read 182 mph though....:laugh

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
16/40 results in about 265kph top speed. My TLS goes up to the limiter with 16/39 so 16/40 limits top speed a little bit.

For street, that would be much too short in my opinion. 1st gear is quite useless with this ratio. Also remember that the chain buffer doesn't last long with 16 tooth front sprocket. I have to change it every year (every 3000km) on the race bike!

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have a 17/45 on mine and wouldnt trade it for the world!! tons of low end and it will still break 150 easly on the highway. perfect for street dirving but highway milage takes a bit of a hit, now that i might be using this as a commuter bike i might move to a 17/40. if i wasnt gonna use this as a commuter i would def keep the big gear. not sure if this helps any but its food for thought.:O

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the 16/40 set-up and think it is great. Noticed more low end grunt but still plenty of top end. Haven't noticed my chain buffer getting hammered at all yet!:O

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't understand!:O

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
i have 17/42 on my TLS,which is great!
deciced against 16 because TL`s have wery thight chain run;incorrectly thigtened chain and some speed,you hit a bump and chain locks under the swingarm resulting total lock to your suspension!DANGEROUS!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I don't understand!:O
Chain walking....

As the sprokets turn the chain cycles around so there's no regular pattern of sprocket teeth always 'biting' the same chain link.

By walking the chain you get more/better life from the chain and sprockets.

So try for a combination of sprocket sizes that wont divide evenly

These ones divide evenly so the chain wont walk or very little.... 16/48 or 13/39...get it????

Even avoid 16/40 as its 2.5 where as 16/41 will walk the chain better

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what does everyone recommend for easier wheelies? As someone already said, top speed is useless, but nice wheelies are imho much more fun. So how 'bout it?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
So what does everyone recommend for easier wheelies? As someone already said, top speed is useless, but nice wheelies are imho much more fun. So how 'bout it?
The best thing for wheelies is another bike. The engines don't take well to wheelies, you'll end up wheelying the crap out of it (literally).

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid

and if you insist on wheeling the TL I doubt gearing will make much of a difference unless you wanna do ultra-slow, stunter style wheelies. I found first and second made for easy enough wheelies with stock gearing. I didn't do long wheelies, but no problem getting it up:deal

·
Registered
200 Posts
The previous owner has a 16/39 set up but I'll be going to a 17/42 this winter. I'm not a wheely monster but that extra grunt in the low end is niiiiiice!! Not much difference between the settings but I feel more comfortable leaving the front stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts