TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the latest VFR??
Want something for the longer rides and the bike looks pretty sweet in white with the hard bags...I will still keep the tills :devious
Just a little :O on the complexity of the bike vtech abs :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks really nice, esp in white and I have a thing for V-4's but I don't care for it too much. It really seams overly heavy and complex, but all that weight and complexity seamingly doesn't contribute to added power or fuel economy (it gets 35-40mpg at best from what I've read). I just don't get the point:confused

If it were me, I'd look at FZ1's, the Z750S (it seriously looks like an awsome VFR alternative imho), V-stroms, Ulys, capro's and Tigers. The latter four have some pretense of dirt-road ability that could add an interesting element to a trip.

Another option might be helibars and a corbin seat on your S:)

have fun

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wouldnt call it over complex, but well engineered. I owned one for a while and traded it for my tlr....dont know why, I still cant decide which one I like more. The best thing is the comfort. The brakes kick ass. yeah its heavy but whats it for, not racing but touring. I would get that all the time; how do you ride wheelies on that big thing? how are you so fast? etc. when it comes down to it you have to love the bike, if you are already having doubts, dont get it. If you have already asked yourself about selling or trading up in a year dont get it. buy one because they kick ass and make you happy.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The pre V-Tec ones are great bikes, plus the older ones have that delicious gear driven cam whine that complements the good sound they put out with some exhaust mods. The new ones seem overly complicated for no reason.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'd love a VFR. I have a friend who has one of the pre VTec's and he says he can see a very noticible difference in fuel economy depending on if he has the bags on the bike though.

·
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Man I love the VFR. My girl has this 2001 model. Its so comfy. And look at how the corbins beetle bags fit. She can hold ALOT of stuff in those things and they are water proof. Wish they were a bit easier to take off however.

I like this model better then the new ones. The VTEC worries me a bit as well, but this bikes a real gem. Good ones can be found for less then 5k.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duken4evr said:
The pre V-Tec ones are great bikes, plus the older ones have that delicious gear driven cam whine that complements the good sound they put out with some exhaust mods. The new ones seem overly complicated for no reason.
I coulden't agree more witch is why I initially looked into the 06..
Does the v tech in the bike change the cam lobe profiles ie higher lift and duration or is it just activating the other valves?? Like running on 2 until the v tech activates and then 4 ?
Or is it 4 with a mild cam profile then 4 with a more agressive profile after 6k?????????????
I Coulden't seem to get that answer at the dealer today, diffrent guys said each answer:dowhat ???????????????/

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I belive it just runs on two valves, then the other two kick it at some specified rpm. The honda cages work either or both ways depending on which specific motor your talking about but I'm pretty sure all the viffers just operate on 2 valves at lower rpms and 4 at higher rpms. Still, with all that and an extra 50cc they don't have an obvious engine advantage (power or fuel consumption) over the simple kawasaki Z750S from what I can tell:O

I wouldn't ride a new BMW unless I had a free mechanic and supply of parts.

have fun

·
5,503 Posts
Does the v tech in the bike change the cam lobe profiles ie higher lift and duration or is it just activating the other valves?? Like running on 2 until the v tech activates and then 4 ?

Yep, the VTEC model runs on two valves up to 6,500 or so rpm, then the other two valves kick in.

Dread's bike is the perfect sport touring machine. Score one like that :hail

·
14,150 Posts

Attachments

·
5,503 Posts
Ah. So VTEC is probably more emissions driven than anything else.

I would love to see them make it a 1000 and scratch the VTEC. Set the FI stupid lean to pass emmissions. I would just remap it later :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great info Jasen. I still think there have got to be better ways of meeting emisssions:lol

·
14,150 Posts
Of course there is, but you go to jail for shooting the hippie tree huggers. :coocoo

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:spit

Seriously, I'm all for a bit hot heavy cat and an otherwise unmolested bike so I can buy it, swap out the cat for a normal exhaust and be good to go:banana

Did I ever mention my hypothesis that the anual amount of polution in the US from tabaco (production, transportation and useage) is vastly higher than that made by motorcycles?

How about VTEC and cat's on cigs?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I heard they finally fixed the v-tec tuning, the biggest complaint was the previous gen was a lightswitch and would come on too abrubtly around 7k rpm's and upset the bike mid corner.

very expensive valve adjustments

but, it's a super sexy sport tourer imop....

·
14,150 Posts
Yea BP, but they might eventually catch onto that and require emissions equipment not so easliy removed by the consumer.

The nice thing is that Honda was able to meet the requirements using a non-removeable system and didn't lose any power in the process. Pretty impressive if you ask me since most emissions systems do cause a drop in power on the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm not sure if its really apples to apples in saying they didn't loose any power - its not any faster than the regular 750 but its more expensive, heavier, larger motor and more complex. If they had put that much complexity, weight and displacement toward improved performance and maintained a constant level of emmissions I expect we'd have had much quicker viffers and the comparison between this hypothetical machine and the one we have now is the relivant one in deciding if emmissions crap cost any hp imho:)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a clean environment - I just don't care for heavy and overly complicated bikes all that much. It seems that in cleaning up the environment it would be most efficent to start with eliminating polution that could be eliminated at the lowest marginal cost. I'm pretty the cost to benifit raito on improveing motorcycle emmissions is really bad and thus, we would all be better off if such legislative efforts were more efficently focused ( I did get an A+ in Environmental Economics:lol)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts