TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eyes on a set of gold GSXR 04/05 front forks for the TLS.

I know the bottom sleave for the brakes is different but would the forks work?

How hard is it to remove those lower fork sleaves and could I mount my existing sleaves from my forks, or what brakes would I need to buy to use the brake sleaves on the 04/05 forks

Are the o4/05 GSXR forks shorter than the TLS forks?

Currently searching threads.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
If you do a search, I think Fiche-man did something like this :confused

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The new 4-pots should be better than the 6-pots TLR's came with. I belive the GSXR forks are about 15mm shorter than the TLS forks - you'd need the forks, tripples, brakes and front wheel/spacers for an easy swap. Are your forks bent or do you just have the mod bug? If the latter, you might be better off getting your forks sprung and valved than putting on other forks.

have fun

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My forks are fine.

Thinking of street fighter for the TLS.

I like the looks of the Gold forks.

Would the internals be better than the TLS? Would that also ring true if I replace the TLS internals with the TLR springs? The TLR front folks are also 15 MM shorter right?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The 01' - 02' GSXR1000 forks & triple clamps are the same & they came with 6 piston calipers. In 03' Suzuki went to the radial mount calipers & the front ends stayed the same through 04'. So those GSXR forks & triple clamps are pretty much the same as well. The 01' through 04' triple clamp "hole" spacing is the same and the upper triple clamps for those 4 years are the same part. The difference between the 01' - 02' and the 03' - 04' GSXR triple clamps is the steering stem assembly itself. The 03' - 04' lower triple clamp uses a larger diameter steering stem & a different steering stem nut (that goes on top of the upper triple clamp). So if you use a front end stand that uses a pin that goes in the steering stem hole on the underside of the lower triple clamp you will need to get a different pin as that hole is much bigger.

Only change from 03' to 04' in the GSXR 1000 front ends besides the aforementioned lower triple clamp steering stem are the brake calipers. The 03' brake calipers have 4 brake pads per caliper & in 04' Suzuki opted for the more conventional 2 brake pad per caliper. I got an 03' GSXR 1000 front end & the idea was to put it on my 01' GSXR1000 & take my LE revalved 01' GSXR1000 front end & put it on my 97' TLS. I took copius notes through this process as both bikes were going to be ridden on the track & I had already had a huge get off due to a tank slapper on my TLS. No need for a twitchy front end in my opinion.

Some measurements Del:

A) Fork lengths
As measured from the top of the axle hole to the top of the fork tube (just below the cap):

97' TL1000S - - - - - - - 720.5 mm
01' GSXR1000 - - - - - - 716.0 mm
03' GSXR1000 - - - - - - 700.0 mm

I had my 03' GSXR forks lengthened by Lindemann Engineering when he did the re-vavle service. That lengthened the fork by close to 10 mm which means the forks I have on my 01' GSXR are now 710mm long. Since the stock 01' GSXR1000 forks are pulled up 6 mm in the triple clamps this works for me as I haven't dorked around with the front end geometry as a baseline.

B) Fork Travel
Taken after the 03' GSXR forks were lengthened. Measurements were taken with the dust seal pushed out of the way so it is accurate as far as distance is concerned but a little more travel than you can actually use:

97' TL1000S - - - - - - - - 125 mm
01' GSXR1000 - - - - - - - 138 mm
03' GSXR1000 - - - - - - - 134 mm (lengthened)

The stocker, non lengthened sliders will have about 10mm less fork travel than stated above.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
IF both forks were perfectly valved and sprung for you the newer internals would be slighty better. Stock for stock the TLs forks are probably better, but its hard to say really. The stock TLS fork springs are way too soft for you - proper spring rates would make a huge difference. TLR springs would be a lot closer to right than the stock TLS springs (which are too soft for me). The racetech website has a spiffy spring rate calculator you might want to check out.

Racetech and most suspension places can setup your forks and do a nice hard annodize job on the upper legs - usually in black but you might be able to chose gold:O they will also TiNi the fork lowers (gold color) but that can be pricy.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I did this I have the whole setup upper/lower tripples, forks, axle. I was worried that they would not fit in the steering stem. Sounds like I'm good to go but I would need to find radial front brakes.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
As far as I know the steering stem will fit, but I'm not 100% sure. Do note that the newer ones are nearly an inch shorter than TLS forks which is not a good thing.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The steering stem fits as they all use the same steering stem bearings & races. For someone like me who has a GSXR1000 as well as the TLS this is a godsend as I have several spare sets of GSXR steering head bearings, late model GSXR triple clamps, etc. There are more than a few suspension shops that will lengthen the forks for you. No, they don't weld on parts to do this - they just alter how much the fork slider is allowed to push through the fork tube.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My cousin bought the forks to put on a bandit but the steering stem of the bandit frame was longer than the lower tripple. He said he could not get the top triple to bolt on. He said it was two short. He paid $300 for the forks. I'm going to offer $200.00 since he can't use them and bolt them up to my bike.

There are no suspension shops around here to lengthen them but since they are the same as a TLR set, many here use the TLR forks on the TLS so the 15mm might not be that big of a deal.

Burncycle uses a TLR set on his TLS I think.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Del, I am thinking of doing the very same thing, but swapping the whole front end, including the calipers, I am winning a bid on ebay at the mo for £300 ($550), it finishes tomorrow.
I did source some front ends from the states but they wanted $165 shipping :scared
That put me off a little

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Dell, for starters with the shorter forks just run 15mm more sag in the rear and the handling won't be greatly different, then fiddle with it till it handles like you want it to. Just lowering the front by 15mm's will make a huge difference in how it handles.

What model year are the forks from?

have fun

·
Registered
111 Posts
i did this mod on my old TLR.the 03 GSXR forks i used were 44 mm,but the TLR ones are 45 mm.they clamped down fine.i used the TLR front wheel GSXR 300mm rotors,and radial calipers.they were an inpovement to the standard 6 pots from the TLR.hope this is of some help.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks I'm looking for the calipers and rotors now. Soundss like my existing rotors would work.

A'm I wrong on that one?

I bought these. I hope I bought the right ones. :dunno

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=230028264309&ih=013&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

Wondering if they come with the bolts, if not maybe mine will work :dowhat
Now looking for rotors. Would the 636 rotors work on a TL wheel? I like the looks of some 636 rotors I found.

The wife has no idea :devious

Josh, once I get this done I'll be bringing the bike to you to help set her up. :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sounds good:)

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:cool I'll buy you dinner

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Del, If I recall right, you can use your existing rotors with those calipers, you just gotta get a 10mm spacer to go between them and the fork lugs and longer mounting bolts :)

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Del I have a suspension shop 15 minutes away that can do everything you want to those stock forks. http://www.litzracing.com/shop/index.htm

they have a few websites and dont put much into any of them. No advertisment but if you lived here just about any local rider that has custom work knows who he is.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts