TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. 03' TLR will only start if I jump it off. Battery shows 12.9V and is holding a charge. When I turn on the key the battery goes to approx. 9.8V. All electronics come on, fuel primes, then when I hit the starter button, the starter relay just buzzes and nothing happens. Turn key off and battery still shows full charge. Replaced starter solenoid relay and new one does same thing. I can touch another battery to it and it starts right up. Switched batteries and same issue. You guys seem smart. I'm sure you know what it is. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Ok. 03' TLR will only start if I jump it off. Battery shows 12.9V and is holding a charge. When I turn on the key the battery goes to approx. 9.8V. All electronics come on, fuel primes, then when I hit the starter button, the starter relay just buzzes and nothing happens. Turn key off and battery still shows full charge. Replaced starter solenoid relay and new one does same thing. ....
WELCOME to the forum Cmyva!

The problem is in bold type in your quote above.
The battery may be showing a decent 'surface charge,' but if it can't sustain the load of the headlights, there is no way it can be expected to crank the engine over.

A good battery will show a voltage of 12.8 to 13.2 or higher, with no load on it.
Key on, with the lights on, it may drop down to 11.8 to 12.2V.
Crank the engine over with the starter, the battery voltage should stay above 10 volts.
Measure your battery while cranking the engine over, and you will see that it is dropping to a very low voltage.

The battery is failing. It happens - sometimes to relatively new batteries. I had one fail (with the same symptoms you describe) when it was only six days old.

While you are in there, inspect the starter relay loom connector. Look for burnt terminals and/or melted connector housing.

Let us know what you find please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were correct. It was just the battery. Took that one back, had a bad cell. Installed new one and she is back to normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts