TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Version: Had the kickstand relay bypassed and bike was starting fine. Found out that the run button on the ignition throttle body was bad. Had that fixed. Rode it about 30 miles and parked. Tried to start the bike again and I heard the primer and could hear a click when hitting the starter but it was not cranking at all. Came back about an hour later and it started right up. Multiple times.:confused

Long Version: Had this bike brand new and eventually there was a power drain problem. Traced it a million ways and could never find it.What was happening is that I could start the bike and ride it. If I rode it daily then no problem. If I let it sit 3 days then it wouldn't start. Charge would fall on the battery. No one can find the drain. I have replaced wires from the ones under the seat all the way to lights. Hopefully the above stuff corrected the drain but now I have no idea about the stuff that happened last night! :banghead

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
put a digital volt meter at the battery
pull off the negative lead
attach negative lead from meter to negative battery post
attach postive meter lead to detached negative lead

see how much is being drained while bike is off first .
start there

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,272 Posts
If nothing odd turns up after doing the test Joe Suzuki recommended, then consider a couple other options.

BTW, Welcome to the Zone. :)

Short Version: Had the kickstand relay bypassed and bike was starting fine. Found out that the run button on the ignition throttle body was bad. Had that fixed. Rode it about 30 miles and parked. Tried to start the bike again and I heard the primer and could hear a click when hitting the starter but it was not cranking at all. Came back about an hour later and it started right up. Multiple times.:confused
It is possible that the starter relay is beginning to fail, or merely the connector on top of the relay has a bad connection. it is a very common failure. Causes intermittent problems as you described.

Long Version: Had this bike brand new and eventually there was a power drain problem. Traced it a million ways and could never find it.What was happening is that I could start the bike and ride it. If I rode it daily then no problem. If I let it sit 3 days then it wouldn't start. Charge would fall on the battery. No one can find the drain. I have replaced wires from the ones under the seat all the way to lights. Hopefully the above stuff corrected the drain but now I have no idea about the stuff that happened last night! :banghead
It sounds like the typical TL OEM charging failure. The OEM circuit (configuration) gets "tired" and eventually fails to charge the battery properly. So then, the battery is chronically undercharged. It then easily discharges in a matter of days to a level that is below the useful threshold. Therefore, it can't start the engine as it should.

There is no actual "drain" on the battery. It is merely suffering from a charging system that is not working right.

Here is a good place to start to troubleshoot the charging system:

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequent-tl-mods/111499-definitive-charging-system-diagnostic-upgrade-thread.html

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will pass this on

I will pass this on as I have the bike at a shop now. They (shops) can never find the problem.

If nothing odd turns up after doing the test Joe Suzuki recommended, then consider a couple other options.

BTW, Welcome to the Zone. :)

It is possible that the starter relay is beginning to fail, or merely the connector on top of the relay has a bad connection. it is a very common failure. Causes intermittent problems as you described.

It sounds like the typical TL OEM charging failure. The OEM circuit (configuration) gets "tired" and eventually fails to charge the battery properly. So then, the battery is chronically undercharged. It then easily discharges in a matter of days to a level that is below the useful threshold. Therefore, it can't start the engine as it should.

There is no actual "drain" on the battery. It is merely suffering from a charging system that is not working right.

Here is a good place to start to troubleshoot the charging system:

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequent-tl-mods/111499-definitive-charging-system-diagnostic-upgrade-thread.html

Let us know what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts