TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stake a lot of faith in this enormous library of TL knowlede here on the Zone. There are lots of people here with way more experience than I have when it comes to owning a multitude of different bikes. I don't think I can go back to an I4 bike ever again. That said, I have a question to pose this forum:

Would it be a latteral move from my '01 tiller to an '01 Aprilia RSV Mille R or a trade up?

I'd have to part the tiller to cover the cost of the Aprilia.

Differences:

Mille R___________TLR (in it's current state)
Olhins forks vs. racetech forks
Ohlins shock vs. Bitubo shock
HP? vs. TLR HP (stock other than Leo Vince, K&N)
Oz wheels vs. Marchesini wheels
Pasta rocket vs. Rice rocket
183 kgs. vs. 197 kgs.

:O

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...you've got some nice parts on both bikes, what will the prilla cost you in the end and do you have the time to part out the TLR?...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
tough choice dude. both bikes are nice....you have loads of goodies on the tlr..........save the cost of changing to the rsv and get a bore kit:devious

·
Registered
148 Posts
not trying to hijack but what was the HP gains with the big bore?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
from personal experience, my bike plus the list of mods in my sig wastes old shape rsv's on the track. you can put this down to the rider if you want but most of my passes were on the straights and on the brakes. new shape rsv's make fairly good opponants...

·
Retired Admin
1,766 Posts
You're going to get a very biased opinion here, as this is the home of the die-hard TL nuts. For my part, I had a TLR with anOhlin's shock and damper, Lindemann reworked forks, and Dymag Magnesium wheels, M4 full system, PC, etc, etc, etc. I sold it and bought an '01 RSVR and have never looked back. I loved my TLR, but it was a pig compared to the Mille. Most people here don't want to hear that, but that's my experience. Yes, the TLR puts up slightly better Hp numbers but that doesn't really tell the story. I can't even describe the instant increase in confidence I had the moment I tossed the Aprilia into the first corner. The Mille is lighter, and handles sooo much better and so you can use the power more effectively. I honestly could never tell any actual power difference between the two and I've spent a few track day sessions running with TLR's and none have been able to pull away from me in the straights.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my TLR. I put a ton of time and effort into it and for a long time I thought any Duc or Aprilia would just be a lateral move. It took a ride on a good road aboard a friends Mille to change my mind. You won't see a big difference putting around town, but the first time you throw it into a hard corner on the track or twisty the difference is immediately apparent.

My old TLR:

Her replacement:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...you've got some nice parts on both bikes, what will the prilla cost you in the end and do you have the time to part out the TLR?...
I'll be in the Mille as deep as I will be in the TLR part out now. The prilia has 9K on the clock, my tiller has 16K or so. I live in the rainiest frickin part of the country, so in short, I have 'til march.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i totally piss all over rsv's too:devious ...:laugh phill you are rather quick :devious
the most obvious gain is a big increase in mid to top range.....opening up the bore a little raises the comp and unmaskes the valves........more flow...nice..i have over 80ftlb .....just right for getting out of corners quickly...or wheelies :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
145 Posts
keep the tiller the rsv is no quicker
i drag raced one and beat it:O
fair n square:)
its up to you.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
You're going to get a very biased opinion here, as this is the home of the die-hard TL nuts. For my part, I had a TLR with anOhlin's shock and damper, Lindemann reworked forks, and Dymag Magnesium wheels, M4 full system, PC, etc, etc, etc. I sold it and bought an '01 RSVR and have never looked back. I loved my TLR, but it was a pig compared to the Mille. Most people here don't want to hear that, but that's my experience. Yes, the TLR puts up slightly better Hp numbers but that doesn't really tell the story. I can't even describe the instant increase in confidence I had the moment I tossed the Aprilia into the first corner. The Mille is lighter, and handles sooo much better and so you can use the power more effectively. I honestly could never tell any actual power difference between the two and I've spent a few track day sessions running with TLR's and none have been able to pull away from me in the straights.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my TLR. I put a ton of time and effort into it and for a long time I thought any Duc or Aprilia would just be a lateral move. It took a ride on a good road aboard a friends Mille to change my mind. You won't see a big difference putting around town, but the first time you throw it into a hard corner on the track or twisty the difference is immediately apparent.

My old TLR:

Her replacement:
i'd say your right about people being biased on here....mot all though...the psv is a fantastic bike....in standard form far better than mine....rsvr miles better than any tls will ever be......end of the day, if your bike has decent tires and suspesion, i'd say on a track it's down to the rider. i've passed far better bikes than mine....and had people on lesser bikes run me ragged trying to keep up.:O

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
If you like the Aprilia, give it a shot.
They are very nice bikes and seem very well built. My buddy owns a dealership and they race what they sell. They hold up well at the track and that Rotax motor seems pretty damn tough.
I haven't ridden one, but from what I hear they handle very well.
It's one of the few bikes out there that I'd trade my TL for.

·
Retired Admin
1,766 Posts
i'd say your right about people being biased on here....mot all though...the psv is a fantastic bike....in standard form far better than mine....rsvr miles better than any tls will ever be......end of the day, if your bike has decent tires and suspesion, i'd say on a track it's down to the rider. i've passed far better bikes than mine....and had people on lesser bikes run me ragged trying to keep up.:O
:yes :yes :yes :thumbup

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
- The mille always had an RSVR version. Good wheels, shocks, forks from the factory. I found the factory RSVR as easy to wheelie and stoppie as my modified TLs, and lighter and smaller. You have to make your own TLRR. And an RSVR holds better resale than an RSV, whereas the cash you spend on TL add-ons only come back to you if you part it out.
- The mille has a narrower angle between cylinders, so its primary balance is not as good in theory without a counterbalancer, but its pretty compact.
- The mille has received more improvements than the TL, and continues to evolve.
- Rotax did a good job. As Italian bikes go it's comparatively reliable.

I like the TL 'cause I already know how to work on it, its quirks... And I'm pretty large. Coming off my BMW K1200LT touring bike the TL feels plenty small to me.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on rider ability

My last outing at the track a 110lb woman on a Brutale put half the track between us in a 20 minute session during which I lapped a guy on a 999s and I've only been to the track twice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sprung on the tiller. I guess I'm itchin for a change....

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
The Aprillia is really popular where I come from back in Illinois, plenty of dealers near my old house. I was shocked to see that here in Southern California there seems to be fewer of them than back in Illinois! There's probably a really good dealership opportunity near me somewhere nearby Long Beach, if I only had a million dollars! There's dealers in Costa Mesa, Irvine, Marina Del Rey, Thousand Oaks...
To locate a dealer:
http://www.apriliausa.com/

Used parts might be a different story, but no harder than for a TL! There's usually about the same number of Aprillia RSV or TLR bikes on eBay, but all the TLRs are good parts donors 'cause they didn't change.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
My buddy just got a package deal on two Aprillia's off of the WERA board. I am hoping to get him down here and ride them back to back next summer in the mountains.

I would prolly make the jump if I had to have only one.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Aprilia used to come ot our local track days and let you run a session on a Mille R. I rode it three times back to back with my TLR on the track. The Aprilia was better in every respect, lighter, easier to put power down, fabulous handling and it was set up for a guy about 40 pounds lighter than me, which meant it could be better. I have always wanted one, but I have a strange attraction to the TL's that keep me riding them. Of course the Miller R Factory would be a nice toy and is tiny to boot, also rated the best sport bike in the world....... Woo Hoo. Also the Tuono rocks too.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All: Thanks for the input. Doug, I never thought about size. I'm 6'1" and 235#....you say the Mille is smaller? As it is now I always feel like I'm a bit oversized on the tiller. BTW the priller in the picture is sick. :yes

AbbaZabba, yes I can only have one:banghead

1 - 20 of 43 Posts