TLZone Forums banner

Help with timing a TL motor

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  beurling 
#1 ·
Ay up chaps...just a quickie

need some help timing a tl motor in,
I need the sequence. front pot at TDC, and cams on firing stroke, flywheel timing mark set, and how do I time rear cylinder.

Any help pointed int he right direction greatly appreciated.

Buzz

#2 ·
Best have a word with Sam Simon.
Wouldn't have a clue myself

#4 ·
Sam hides behind the sofa when the crazy buzzard calls to see him :lol

#5 ·
Download the manual dude ... : )

#6 ·
yes...i think sam has palpitations when he sees me calling :laugh

just downloaded the manual carl..will have a shufty :)

#7 ·
The manual is a bit cryptic.....

if you follow it line 4 line and don't think about the logic it works.

it'll do your head in if you try to make sense of it....

Sam sent me simple instructions years ago but i can't find them to offer you.

but the manual does work.

#8 ·
Yep, I even got the cams back in right following the manual :thumbup

Not like the Ford Explorer manual :coocoo

#9 ·
just for reference..i found both these for Cam Timing using the search function :devious

Guide 1:

1. align TDC (F|T) for front cylinder. make sure the timing mark on the idler cam is up and lined up with the one on the head itself

2. put yer FRONT cylinder cams in. lobes should facing out and up

3. secure the cam towers.

4. rotate motor 360 degrees to TDC (F|T)

5. you should not be able to see the idler gear timing mark because it will be facing down.

6. install REAR cams. exhaust lobes will be facing the front cylinder and the intake lobes will be straight up.

7. secure the rear cam towers.

8. make sure the are torqued correctly and you didnt forget the c rings. rotate the motor and check your timing

Guide number 2: ( This is Sam's )

Remove the two access plugs on the generator cover, turn the crank so that the FT mark is aligned in the sight hole.

The Lines & white paint on the idler gears should be lined up pretty much spot on with the lines on the heads. If they are around 1/2 a tooth out there is a procedure in the manual to rectify it.

Fit the front cams as per the diagram below with the lines level with the gasket face.

Then turn the crank 360 Deg so the the FT mark lines up again and fit the rear cams taking note of the timing lines again.

Then turn the engine another 360 Deg back to where you started and the cams should look like the diagram below

Line art Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Drawing

Cheers for your help :)

Buzz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.